Escaped Sex Offender Is Subject Of Manhunt

Former Westminster Resident, 58, Flees Clinic

November 27, 1991|By Maria Archangelo | Maria Archangelo,Staff writer

Police are searching for a 58-year-old former Westminster resident convicted in 1989 of sexual abuse who escaped from a Baltimore sexual disorders clinic Monday, police officials said.

Frederick Andre Stein was transferred from the county jail to the Johns Hopkins Sexual Disorders Clinic Nov. 4 for treatment for pedophilia, court records show.

A bench warrant was issued for his arrest Monday by Circuit JudgeLuke K. Burns Jr.

Law enforcement and court officials said they are concerned about Stein's escape because he has previously violated probation by hanging around schoolyards and playgrounds and is considered a danger to children.

Details of his escape were not available late yesterday.

Stein was charged in September 1988 with five counts of third-degree sex offenses, two counts of fourth-degree sex offenses, assault and battery, and child abuse.

Police said Stein molested a 4-year-old girl several times between October 1985 and May 1988 while he was baby-sitting her.

He agreed to a statement of facts in the case and pleaded not guilty to a single count of third-degree sexual assault. In exchange for his agreement to the facts, the state dropped the other charges.

Stein told doctors at Carroll County General Hospital the child was "such a pretty girl that it was hardto resist" molesting her, court records show.

On March 9, 1989, Burns gave Stein a suspended sentence of 10 years in prison and placedhim on five years of probation.

Stein was arrested in Baltimore two weeks later and charged with attempting to kidnap two 10-year-oldsfrom a city playground.

Burns then issued a bench warrant for hisarrest on charges of violation of probation. At a hearing on the case on July 13, 1989, Burns modified Stein's probation to prohibit him from places where children gather.

Another warrant was issued for Stein's arrest Jan. 17, 1990 after his Westminster parole officer learned Stein had been arrested in Baltimore in August 1989 and charged with soliciting a prostitute.

In documents notifying the judge of Stein's arrest, the parole officer wrote, "It appears Mr. Stein is sexually dysfunctional and poses a great risk to society at large."

At a hearing on the second parole violation in April 1990, Burns refused requests by the state to place Stein in prison and allowed him toremain on probation.

On Aug. 6, 1990 a woman who knew Stein saw him at the Westminster Playground watching little girls, police reports said.

His parole officer again requested that Stein be arrested and jailed for violating probation, saying he believed Stein "a danger to the children of the community," court records said.

At an October 1990 hearing on the violation, Burns agreed Stein was a danger and sent him to the Patuxent Correctional Institution to serve his 10-year term.

On May 31, Burns moved Stein to the county Detention Center.

The judge sent Stein to the sexual disorders clinic earlier this month to be evaluated and treated. He was in treatment at the time of the escape.

Stein is described as a white male, 5 feet 10 inches tall and weighing 150 pounds.

He has a tattoo of the initials"D.L." on his left forearm, a scar on his forehead and cerebral palsy in his right hand and arm.

Anyone with information on Stein's whereabouts is asked to call the state police at 848-3111.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.