Dr. Moses Paulson, associate professor emeritus of gastroenterology at the Johns Hopkins medical school and an expert on digestive diseases, died Sunday at Roland Park Place of complications from heart disease.
Dr. Paulson was 95.
He retired as associate professor in 1971, but continued his office practice and made almost daily visits to the Johns Hopkins Hospital where he participated in doctors' rounds regularly until the age of 88.
He had headed the Gastrointestinal Clinic at the Hospital.
In 1983, the Moses and Helen Golden Paulson chair of gastroenterology at Hopkins was named for Dr. Paulson and his wife. They had endowed it.
Dr. Thomas R. Hendrix, director emeritus of the Gastroenterology Division at Hopkins and the first Paulson professor, described Dr. Paulson yesterday as a person who cared so much for his patients that he would help them avoid surgery through alternative medical treatment for ulcerative colitis and later attempt to contact them to suggest checkups because of new discoveries about the disease.
He was known for his research on the causes of ulcerative colitis, for early work on possible psychosomatic factors, and for helping with studies of the use of fiber optics in equipment for intestinal examinations.
Author of 85 research papers, he was editor and author of a textbook, "Gastroenterologic Medicine." He was on the editorial boards of two professional journals, the American Journal of Digestive Diseases and Gastroenterology.
Named a premier physician by the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation, formerly the National Foundation for Ileitis and Colitis, in 1989 and GI Man of the Year in 1985 by the Gastroenterologistical Section of the Southern Medical Association, he was a fellow of the American College of $l Physicians and the American College of Gastroenterology.
Born in Baltimore, he was a graduate of City College and the University of Maryland, where he earned his bachelor's and medical degrees.
A member of the Naval Reserve while a medical student during World War I, he became an intern at Sinai Hospital in 1921, and also served residencies at St. Agnes Hospital, and in Washington at Children's Hospital and Emergency Hospital.
He began a private practice in 1924 but began his association with Hopkins as a full-time researcher in digestive diseases in 1926, continuing until 1929.
He also was chief of gastroenterology at Sinai Hospital and on the staffs of Church Home Hospital, Mercy Medical Center and the Greater Baltimore Medical Center.
He was a consultant to several organizations.
Dr. Paulson was a member of the American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the American Society of Microbiology, the American Gastro-Enterological Association, the American Society for Research in Psychosomatic Problems, the Phi Delta Epsilon Medical Fraternity and other professional groups.
He was a member of the Amicable Lodge of the Masons.
l,.5l He is survived by his wife of 65 years, the former Helen Golden; a sister, Esther Spielman of Baltimore; a brother, Aaron Paulson of Rockville; and several nieces and nephews.
Private services were planned for Dr. Paulson.
The family suggested that memorial contributions could be made to the Department of Gastroenterology at the Johns Hopkins Hospital.