BASEBALL American League * Chicago White Sox -- Added Chris Howard, Greg Perschke and Johnny Ruffin (pitchers) to the 40-man roster.
* Cleveland Indians -- Claimed Derek Lilliquist (pitcher) off waivers from the San Diego Padres. Designated Mike Walker (pitcher) for reassignment.
* Detroit Tigers -- Named Rick Rizzs and Bob Rathbun radio announcers.
* Texas Rangers -- Assigned Wayne Rosenthal (pitcher) and Kevin Belcher (outfielder) outright to Oklahoma City of the American Association. Signed Mike Berger (catcher) to a minor-league contract.
* Toronto Blue Jays -- Purchased the contracts of Robert Perez and Nigel Wilson (outfielders) from Dunedin of the Florida State League, and Ryan Thompson (outfielder) and Jeff Kent (second baseman) from Knoxville of the Southern League. Signed Gene Vaninitti (third baseman) to a minor-league contract.
National League * Cincinnati Reds -- Purchased the contract of Jacob Brumfield (outfielder) from Nashville of the American Association. Waived Luis Quinones (infielder) for the purpose of giving him his unconditional release.
* Houston Astros -- Announced the retirement of Mike Scott (pitcher). Purchased the contracts of Shane Reynolds (pitcher) from Jackson of the Texas League and Richie Simon (pitcher) and Orlando Miller (infielder) from Tucson of the Pacific Coast League.