Bishop T. Austin Murphy is deadA Mass of Christian burial...


November 19, 1991

Bishop T. Austin Murphy is dead

A Mass of Christian burial for retired Auxiliary Bishop T. Austin Murphy of Baltimore's Roman Catholic archdiocese will be offered at 11 a.m. Thursday at the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen, 5300 N. Charles St.

Bishop Murphy, 80, died unexpectedly Sunday afternoon of an apparent cardiac arrest.

He was walking from the rectory to the church of St. Rose of Lima in Brooklyn to attend Mass when he collapsed. He was taken to Harbor Hospital Center, where efforts to revive him were unsuccessful.

Archbishop William H. Keeler said Bishop Murphy will be remembered for "his deep faith and genuine concern for others, expressed so often with warmth and wit. To his family, to members of St. Rose of Lima Parish, to people throughout this archdiocese and beyond its borders who were touched by his ministry and friendship go prayerful sentiments of sympathy."

Born in Baltimore's St. Martin parish on May 11, 1911, he graduated from St. Martin's and entered St. Charles College to study for the priesthood. He completed theological studies at St. Mary's Seminary in Roland Park.

He was ordained at the Basilica of the Assumption on June 10, 1937, by Archbishop Michael J. Curley.

Father Murphy was assigned to his home parish, where he served for seven years. He was then sent to St. Dominic's for six years and then to St. Mary's in Govans.

In 1951, he was assigned to St. Rose of Lima, first as an associate and then as administrator of the parish. He was named pastor in 1961 after the death of Monsignor Leonard Ripple.

In May 1962, Father Murphy was named an auxiliary bishop of Baltimore. He often marveled at his rank by saying, "And I was never even a monsignor!"

He was consecrated bishop at the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen. He remained in the office of pastor of St. Rose until 1972 and continued living at the rectory until his death.

As bishop, he was the first chairman of the Roman Catholic-Lutheran Dialogue, the first of a series of ecumenical discussions between the Catholic Church and other Christian denominations. He also served as vicar for the religious in the archdiocese and as first chairman of the Archdiocesan Liturgical Commission.

Bishop Murphy retired in 1984.

He is survived by a sister, Rosemary M. Malooly and a brother, C. Carroll Murphy, both of Baltimore.

Sister Helen

Former Keough teacher

A Mass of Christian burial for Sister Helen Tomasheck, S.S.N.D., who taught math and history at the former Archbishop Keough High School for two decades, will be offered at 3 p.m. today at the chapel at Villa Assumpta, 6401 N. Charles St.

Sister Helen, who was also known as Sister Mary Alois, died Sunday morning of a stroke at Villa Assumpta, the motherhouse of the School Sisters of Notre Dame. She was 85.

Born in Budapest, Hungary, Sister Helen came to the United States with her parents at the age of 2. When she was 5, she was placed under the care of the School Sisters of Notre Dame at St. Vincent's Orphanage near Philadelphia.

She attended primary school at St. Vincent's and then worked as housekeeping assistant for a priest. In 1924, she joined the School Sisters of Notre Dame and, while a candidate, earned her high school diploma at the Institute of Notre Dame in Baltimore.

She professed her vows in 1928. In 1947, she received her bachelor's degree in history from the College of the Sacred Heart in Puerto Rico. She also attended classes at the University of Puerto Rico and Fordham University in New York.

She taught school in Puerto Rico for 28 years. In 1961, she returned to the mainland to teach at St. Mary's in Annapolis.

From 1962 to 1967, she taught at St. John's in Frederick. After that, she taught at Archbishop Keough until her retirement in 1986. The all-girls school in Southwest Baltimore is now known as Seton-Keough, following a merger with the former Seton Institute.

;/ No members of her immediate family survive.

Joseph A. Vitale Jr.

Sales engineer, veteran

A Mass of Christian burial for Joseph A. Vitale Jr., a former sales engineer for the American Can Co., will be offered at 10 a.m. today at St. Vincent de Paul Church in Gillette, N.J.

Mr. Vitale, who was 68 and lived in Gillette, died Saturday of cancer at the Columbia Hospital in Newark, N.J., where he worked as chief engineer.

He had worked for the can company in Baltimore from 1947 until 1958 when he became plant manager for the Shasta Beverage Co. in Plainfield, N.J.

Born in Baltimore, he was a 1942 graduate of the Polytechnic Institute.

He served in the U.S. Army Air Forces during World War II as a crew chief for bombers in Italy.

He is survived by his wife of 44 years, the former Elisabeth Gwynn; three sons, Michael J., Joseph A. and Paul A. Vitale, all of Gillette; two daughters, Donna Marie Smith of San Jose, Calif., and Anna Marie Vitale of Newark; two brothers, Dr. William J. Vitale of Hunt Valley and Ralph M. Vitale of Parkville; three sisters, Constance Dewey and Josephine Bedford, both of Parkville, and Anne Monico of Perry Hall; and two grandchildren.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.