Gov. William Donald Schaefer has honored 92 Marylanders at the 12th Annual Governor's Crime Prevention Awards.
The awards, presented Friday at the Loews Annapolis Hotel, went to private citizens, community groups, businesses, police officers and law enforcement agencies.
Bishop L. Robinson, secretary of the Maryland Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services, said the involvement of citizens in fighting crime has become more important than ever.
"If we are to succeed in the fight against crime, citizens must become and remain involved with the law enforcement and community crime prevention efforts," Robinson said. "By removing the opportunity for crime to occur in our homes, businesses, schools and at all levels of the community, we can greatly reduce our chances of becoming a victim of crime."
Among the recipients were:
* Anne Arundel County Police Department: Officer Robert Aurand, the South River Ruritan Club, the Warfield Security Patrol and the Neighborhood Canvassing Program.
* Baltimore City Police Department: the Southeastern District Police/Community Relations Council and the Clergy United for Renewal of East Baltimore.
* Baltimore County Police Department: Officers Charles Bury, Leo French, Gail Wolff, Ronald Patton, James Lynch, John Reginaldi and James Kappes; the Community Drug Watch; Jan Kelly; the Rev. Sang Kun Park; and Susan V. Plitt.
* Calvert County Sheriff's Office: Deputy Scott James Lee Faucett and the Calvert Alliance Against Substance Abuse.
* Charles County Sheriff's Office: Police Explorer Kenneth King and Patrolman Carl Rye.
* Crofton Police Department: Sgt. Deborah Bogush and Cpl. John Wortman.
* Fort George G. Meade.
* Frederick County Sheriff's Office: Cpl. William Johnson, the Business and Professional Women's Club of Frederick, Peter Charuhas and the Moose Drug and Alcohol Awareness Program.
* Frostburg State University Police Department.
* Hagerstown Department of Police: Hagerstown Department of Police-Citizens Police Academy and Off. Wesley M. Poole.
* Harford County Sheriff's Office: Jean Cheslock.
* Howard County Police Department: Officers Martin Gavin, Tara Ball, and Bruce Lohr; Kathy Bernard; Deby Keyser; and the Columbia Business Watch.
* Maryland State Police: Sgt. John R. Somers, Kelly A. Bunch and Daniel H. Burkhardt; Children's Village of Washington County; Anne Durant; Sergio S. Gigante; Heather Sherill; Brannon T. Thompson; Scam Awareness Prevention Program and Troopers William Bergan and James S. Emerick.
* Metro Transit Police: Officer James David Smith.
* Morgan State University Police Department: Officer Bessie L. Gray.
* Prince George's County Police Department: District II Explorer Post 222; Skyline Citizens Association, Inc.; Corporals Stephen F. Holton, William T. Barnes, Warren Holmes, Carl G. Lavsa, Patti Young and Gary Cunningham and Pfc. Rita J. Kenley.