Carville G. Akehurst
Former nursery owner
Services for Carville G. Akehurst, whose family has been in the plant business since his grandfather started selling flowers in Fullerton in 1876, will be at 11 a.m. today at Camp Chapel United Methodist Church, 5000 E. Joppa Road.
Mr. Akehurst died Friday at Franklin Square Hospital Center after a heart attack. He was 84.
His grandfather, Charles Akehurst, came to the United States from Britain in 1838, and settled in Mount Washington. Ten years later, he moved to Joppa Road, where he farmed. In 1876, he and his son, C. Edward Akehurst, opened Akehurst Nurseries and sold vegetables, carnations, violets, bedding plants, roses and other flowers.
Mr. Akehurst and his four brothers began working in the family business at a young age. He was made a partner in Akehurst Brothers, a greenhouse operation specializing in roses, in 1927, and became an owner of Akehurst Nurseries Inc., which produced nursery stock and did landscaping work, in 1931.
He retired in 1976, when the business was celebrating its 100th anniversary and selling 1 million roses a year. His three sons took over the business, and two still are involved.
William E. Akehurst of Perry Hall and his two sons, William K. and Brian, operate Akehurst Landscape Service Inc. in White Marsh, the successor to Akehurst Nurseries.
Lauren D. Akehurst of Bel Air operates Akehurst Landscaping in the 11000 block of Pulaski Highway.
Mr. Akehurst was one of the original members of the Maryland Nurseryman's Association and was its first treasurer. He served as president in 1956, and received the group's "Professional Achievement Award" in 1962.
In 1970, he received a certificate of merit award in agriculture from the University of Maryland.
He was a lifelong member of Camp Chapel United Methodist Church, where he served on the Board of Trustees for several decades. He taught Sunday school and was instrumental in raising money for and supervising construction of the present church and educational buildings.
Mr. Akehurst was an original member and treasurer of the Franklin Square Hospital Center Foundation, which managed the hospital's real estate. From 1964 to 1977, he was a member of the Northeast Baltimore County Regional Advisory Board for Maryland National Bank.
He was a charter member and past president of the Kiwanis Club of Parkville, and from 1969 to 1970 he was chairman of the Northeast YMCA Building for Youth campaign.
Mr. Akehurst also was involved in parent-teacher association activities in the 1940s and 1950s, and the Baltimore County Library Association in the late 1960s.
In 1929, he married Doris Milling, who died in 1974.
In addition to his sons, William and Lauren, Mr. Akehurst is survived by another son, Carville M. Akehurst, and a daughter, Doris A. Tarleton, both of Perry Hall; and 11 grandchildren. A Mass of Christian burial for Silvio C. J. Patti, an engineer who served on the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission in the late 1970s, will be offered at 10 a.m. today at St. Margaret's Church, 141 Hickory Ave. in Bel Air.
Mr. Patti, who was 70, died of cancer Wednesday at Fallston General Hospital.
Mr. Patti worked as an electrical engineer for Martin Marietta from 1955 to 1971, when he left for the U.S. Department of Labor. He wrote electrical safety standards for the Occupational Safety and Health Administration until 1982, when he retired.
From July 1975 to June 1977, he was a member of the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
During retirement, Mr. Patti owned the Bel Air Card and Gift Shop, and was a part-time teacher of electronics at Catonsville Community College. He also built grandfather clocks and rebuilt grand and player pianos.
Mr. Patti received a bachelor of science degree in electrical engineering in 1955 from the Indiana Institute of Technology and master's degree in management engineering from George Washington University in 1971.
He served in the Army during World War II, in the Pacific and in North Africa, and was called back to service in Japan in 1950 during the Korean War.
Mr. Patti was born in Galati Mamertino, Italy, when his parents, John and Marianna, were visiting there. They returned to New York City a year and a half later. He had lived in Towson since 1966.
He is survived by his wife of 43 years, Elsie R. McDougal Patti; four sons, Joseph Patti and Thomas Patti of Bel Air; John Patti of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and Robert Patti of Freeland; a daughter, Barbara Patti of Bel Air; and one granddaughter.
The family suggests that contributions be made to the Grant-A-Wish Foundation, P.O. Box 21211, Baltimore, Md. 21228.
Ida Amelia Himler
Services for Ida Amelia Himler, who was active in volunteer work, will be at 1 p.m. today at Henry W. Jenkins and Sons, 4905 York Road.
Mrs. Himler, who was 91 and lived for many years in the Mayfield area, died Wednesday of influenza at Keswick Home, where she had lived for the past three years.