Escapee captured in Marley Freeland, who escaped security van Sept. 3, is held without bail.

November 12, 1991|By Glenn Small | Glenn Small,Evening Sun Staff QLB

It took more than a month, and apparently some coaxing, but Anthony James Freeland finally made it to Anne Arundel District Court for his bail review hearing today.

District Court Judge Joseph P. Manck ordered Freeland, 20, of Severn, held on no bond at the county's detention center on charges of escape.

Handcuffed, Freeland appeared this morning for his bail review via television from the detention center, although officials said they had a little trouble getting him before the camera. The last time Freeland wore a pair of handcuffs, Sept. 3, he was on his way to District Court on various charges, including robbery with a deadly weapon, theft and assault.

That day, Freeland and another man bolted from a private security vehicle as it arrived at the District Court to deliver prisoners, police said. Later, officials speculated that Freeland had hidden a handcuff key in his mouth and used it to escape.

Freeland was taken back to the detention center Sunday night after county police captured him driving a stolen car in the Marley area of the county.

County police said that Freeland was a busy man during the two months he eluded capture.

Police said Freeland confessed to robbing 14 fast-food restaurants, liquor stores, hotels and other businesses in Anne Arundel and Howard counties and stealing four cars between Sept. 30 and Nov. 10.

Sgt. James Moore, a county police spokesman, said Freeland admitted committing those robberies, but yesterday was charged with only one of them -- the Oct. 30 robbery of the Subway restaurant in the 7900 block of Baltimore-Annapolis Boulevard in Glen Burnie. "We will seek indictments on the other charges," Moore said.

Officers also recovered a .38-caliber handgun they believe was used in some of the holdups.

Police said they had received an anonymous tip that Freeland, who had faced trial on several counts of armed robbery before his escape, would be in the Marley area. Freeland also previously had escaped from Pennsylvania authorities, police said.

After setting up surveillance teams, police spotted Freeland driving a gray Chevrolet Spectrum along Holloway Road, near Marley Junior High School. They stopped the car in a nearby driveway about 9 p.m. and arrested Freeland without incident.

The car Freeland was driving had been stolen from a Glen Burnie parking lot Nov. 8, police said.

In his Sept. 3 escape, officials said, Freeland apparently was able to unlock both his cuffs and the cuffs of Donald Leander Curtis, 21, of Glen Burnie.

Both men ran toward busy downtown Annapolis as soon as the doors of the private security vehicle were opened.

Curtis, who at the time of his escape was charged with robbery, burglary and possession of narcotics, was captured Sept. 24 by county police. He was ordered held without bail.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.