Wildecats Upset Top Seed In Girls State Semifinals

November 10, 1991|By Jeff Seidel | Jeff Seidel,Contributing writer

The Wilde Lake girls soccer team fell into a hole Friday night, but Renita Young lifted them out of it.

Young scored two second-half goals, including the game-winner with 3 minutes, 35 seconds left, as fourth-seeded Wilde Lake rallied from an early two-goal deficit to post a 3-2 victory over top-seeded Loch Raven in the Class 1A-2A state semifinals at Liberty High School.

Wilde Lake will meet Hammond for the Class 2A state title at 4 p.m. Saturday at Arundel High School.

Hammond defeated North Carroll, 6-0, in the other semifinal. It beat Wilde Lake, 5-0, earlier in the season.

Wilde Lake (12-3) outplayed Baltimore County champion Loch Raven (14-1) much of the night.

Loch Raven scored twice in the first five minutes but did little else after that. The Wildecats outshot the Raiders, 16-4, after the second goal and 17-7 overall.

Loch Raven had not trailed in any game this season and had blanked nine opponents.

The Wildecats used their speed to beat Loch Raven to the ball often. After falling behind early, Wilde Lake slowly began taking control, despite trailing, 2-1, at halftime.

Young used her great speed in scoring both times. With 21:34 left in the game, she took a Lindsay Waxler pass, broke in alone on Loch Raven goalie Sarliee Seeger (10 saves) and beat her to the left, tying the score at 2.

Then, with 3:35 left in the game, Young headed in a corner kick from Nikki Krupp for the victory. Young rushed up and headed the ball justinside the left post.

"She just saw me coming," Young said.

"Iwas just waiting for the ball. I saw it go in."

Early in the game, however, it appeared that Wilde Lake would not be in a position to score a game-winning goal.

That's because Loch Raven came out on fire, quickly scoring twice. Wilde Lake coach Rick Wilson said his team simply was not ready.

"We were comatose in the first minutes," he said. "In the first minutes, they came out fighting."

The first Loch Raven goal came exactly two minutes into the game.Mary Edwards took a shot from the left side that Wilde Lake goalie Leah Angle knocked out. Robyn Harry then raced in and beat Angle with a shot from about 5 yards.

Just 2:03 later, Edwards and Harry combined for the Raiders' second goal. Harry passed to Edwards on the left side, and sheput a high shot in for the 2-0 lead.

Wilde Lake cut it to 2-1 just 4:16 later when, at the end of a wild, three-shot sequence in frontof the goal, Stephanie Sarkis knocked the ball in.

Loch Raven coach Bruce Stevens said his team may have relaxed a little after takingthe early lead.

"I think they thought they had it (won)," he said.

Young said the Wildecats never gave up or lost confidence.

"We just had to (rally)," she said. "We knew this was our game."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.