Playing as boys do, Terrence Tolbert made the mistake of crawling into an electrical transformer box in an Annapolis housing project to retrieve a stick. It cost him his right arm and severe burns. The Annapolis Housing Authority has agreed to a $200,000 settlement, but says it isn't to blame because vandals broke the lock on the box. Baltimore Gas & Electric Co. says it has nothing to do with equipment owned by the agency. Caught in this abdication of responsibility is an eight-year-old child trying to adjust to life with an artificial limb.
Deciding ultimate liability is a job for the courts -- there's still a $25 million action pending against BG&E. What's so galling about this tragedy is that it should never have happened. The authority settled a similar incident involving three youngsters and the same transformer in 1980. As part of that agreement, it was supposed to make sure the deadly boxes were kept out of the reach of children.