Fort Hill has a cumulative record of 409-124-17 in 55 seasons and has qualified for the state playoffs nine times since 1974, including last season. The Sentinels are probably best remembered by followers of Baltimore County football for their 48-0 rout of Overlea in the 1986 state quarterfinals.
Records, streaks, milestones
* No. 3 Wilde Lake extended the area's longest winning streak to 22 with a 44-0 rout of Mount Hebron on Saturday.
* Sparrows Point's 34-0 loss to Milford Mill on Thursday extended the area's longest losing streak to 21.
How does an apparent mismatch between the Maryland Scholastic Association B Conference's top team and its last-place team become anything but a mismatch?
One possibility is if the favored team (Northern) fumbles a lot. A whole lot.
Ten fumbles, 10 fumbles lost, to be exact.
Despite the turnovers, Walbrook could not pull off the upset, as No. 18 Northern escaped with an 18-12 victory.
"I couldn't believe it. It was a nightmare," Northern coach Ike Hemphill said. "I could hardly sleep Friday night because I was still thinking about it."
The only explanation that Hemphill could offer was that his team was due for a "flat" game.
"We run the option, and we haven't fumbled more than twice all season," he said. "I guess we were due, but I still don't feel good about it."
The Lions offense came in like a lamb
It took them four weeks to get started, but Dulaney's offense is rolling now.
After beginning the season with four consecutive shutout losses, Dulaney has averaged 24.8 points in winning three of its past five games.
In a 42-18 win over Franklin on Thursday, the Lions accumulated 467 yards of total offense and gained 18 first downs. Senior tailback Dan Boylan accounted for nearly half the offense, rushing for 231 yards and a touchdown.
* Most TDs: Lamar King, Chesapeake-BC, 4.
* Longest TD rushing: Kevin Anderson, Franklin, 80 yards.
* Longest TD passing: Brian Edwards, Archbishop Spalding, 62 yards to Jeff Paxson.
* Longest kickoff return for a TD: Carlando Love, Atholton, 95 yards.
* Longest punt return for a TD: Charles Hoffman, Northeast, 76 yards.
* Longest interception return for a TD: Don Covington, Milford Mill, 70 yards.
* Longest fumble recovery and return for a TD: Marcious Bouning, Carver, 22 yards.
* Longest field goal: Evan Leos, Calvert Hall, and Graydon Ripley, Severn, 35 yards.
* Eugene Marshall, Cardinal Gibbons, 27 carries, 249 yards, 3 TDs.
* Dan Boylan, Dulaney, 24 carries, 231 yards, 2 TDs.
* John Johnson, Dundalk, 23 carries, 196 yards, 2 TDs.
* Joe Goodwin, South Carroll, 16-for-20, 338 yards, 3 TDs.
* Jeff Hawk, C.M. Wright, 9-for-14, 162 yards, 1 TD.
* Todd Retchless, Dulaney, 8-for-9, 134 yards, 2 TDs.
* Scott Mills, South Carroll, 9 catches, 265 yards, 1 TD.
* Mike Weichert, C.M. Wright, 6 catches, 134 yards, 1 TD.
* Greg Washington, Oakland Mills, 4 catches, 105 yards, 3 TDs.
Note: Top performances are based on statistics reported to The Sun.