Man, 20, slain on Garrison Blvd. Victim shot and killed by man who "came out of nowhere," police say.

November 01, 1991|By Richard Irwin | Richard Irwin,Evening Sun Staff

A 20-year-old man died last night at the University of Maryland Medical Center shortly after he was shot in the head while sitting on the steps of an apartment building in the 2900 block of Garrison Blvd., police said.

Homicide Detective Vernon Holley said about 7:53 p.m., Thomas Milton, of no permanent address, was talking to another man and a girl, 17, when a man armed with a revolver walked up, and without a word, fired a single shot into Milton's head.

Holley said the people with whom Milton had been talking ran for cover and did not see in which direction the gunman went.

Milton was taken by ambulance to University, where he was pronounced dead at 8:29 p.m., Holley said.

Holley said he knew of no motive for the slaying.

"Whoever killed the man came out of nowhere, fired one shot and escaped," Holley said.

Anyone having information about the slaying is urged to call the homicide squad at 396-2100.

In an unrelated case, police yesterday went to the Baltimore County Detention Center in Towson and arrested a man wanted in connection with the Oct. 5 slaying of an elderly man in his East North Avenue home.

The suspect, Ralph Steele, 38, of the 5500 block of Hamilton Ave., wasarrested about 10:30 a.m. by Holley and homicide Detective Oscar Requer on a warrant charging him with the first-degree murder of Willie Gilmore, 81.

Gilmore was asphyxiated in his home in the 2800 block of E. North Ave., police said.

At the time of his arrest, Steele was awaiting trial for illegal possession of a handgun.

Holley said robbery appeared to be the motive in Gilmore's death.

Holley said Steele was to have a bail review hearing today in District Court.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.