American League * Cleveland Indians -- Named Rick Adair pitching coach; Dave Nelson first base, outfield and baserunning coach; Jeff Newman third base and catchers coach; Ron Clark infield and bench coach; and Ken Bolek coaching assistant.
* Kansas City Royals -- Named Lee May and Bruce Kison coaches and offered contracts to Lynn Jones, Adrian Garrett, Glenn Ezell and Guy Hansen (coaches).
* Milwaukee Brewers -- Named Phil Garner manager.
National League * Pittsburgh Pirates -- Named Mark Sauer president and chief executive officer.
BASKETBALL (NBA) * Boston Celtics -- Signed Larry Bird (forward) to a 2-year contract extension through the 1993-94 season. Signed Kevin Gamble (forward) to a 3-year contract. Waived Anderson Hunt, Kennard Winchester and Rick Calloway (guards) and Michael Smith and Steve Scheffler (forwards).
* Charlotte Hornets -- Signed Larry Johnson (forward) to a 6-year contract.
* Dallas Mavericks -- Waived Jim Grandholm (forward).
* Los Angeles Lakers -- Waived Anthony Jones and Irving Thomas (forwards).
* Phoenix Suns -- Waived Joe Barry Carroll (center).
FOOTBALL (NFL) * League -- Suspended Tim Worley (Pittsburgh Steelers running back) for six games for violating the NFL's drug policy.
* Denver Broncos -- Activated Alphonso Carreker (defensive end) from the physically-unable-to-perform list. Placed Ronnie Haliburton (linebacker) on injured reserve.
* Detroit Lions -- Placed Rodney Peete (quarterback) on injured reserve. Claimed D.J. Dozier (running back) off waivers from the Minnesota Vikings.
* Los Angeles Raiders -- Activated Marcus Allen (running back) from injured reserve and placed him on the practice squad.
* New York Giants -- Signed A.J. Greene (defensive back). Waived Johnie Cooks (linebacker) and Greg Meisner (defensive lineman).
* Phoenix Cardinals -- Activated Robert Massey (cornerback) and Larry Centers (running back) from injured reserve. Waived Terrence Flagler (running back) and Scott Evans (linebacker).