LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- This may or may not be the Breeders' Cup of In Excess, but it should be a Breeders' Cup of excess.
When the series is run Saturday for the eighth time, these records could fall:
* Attendance. Breeders' Cup officials said advance ticket sales have proceeded ahead of the 1988 pace, when 71,237 attended.
* Starters. Saturday's 91 probables surpasses Hollywood Park's 1987 record of 84.
* European horses. The 21 expected starters from overseas top the 1985 record at Aqueduct, 16.
* Largest mutuel pool. Expectations are high for the national Pick-7, which is scheduled to be available starting today at Laurel/Pimlico and hundreds of other outlets nationally.
* Highest career earnings for a female runner. A triumph by Dance Smartly in the Distaff would give her $3,083,456, surpassing Lady's Secret.
* Most female jockeys participating. Julie Krone and Francine Villeneuve are named to ride in the Fillies.
Could one other record -- Secretariat's track record of 1 minute, 59 2/5 seconds for 1 1/4 miles -- be broken?
* Kentucky Derby winners have won the last four runnings of the Classic. When Unbridled and Strike the Gold face each other, it will be just the second time two Derby winners have met in the race. In 1987, Ferdinand won the Classic over Alysheba by a nose.
* Maryland's long-shot connections in the Breeders' Cup:
* Jolies Halo, trained by Laurel-based Bob Camac, is a part of the mutuel field in the Mile.
* Miss Legality is part of the mutuel field in the Fillies. She's trained by Hubert "Sonny" Hine, a former longtime Maryland regular.
* Snappy Landing, 15-1 in the Juvenile, is trained by Dennis Manning, who has stabled at Laurel in recent winters. Manning, whose 22-horse stable is based in New Jersey, said yesterday that he was undecided whether he would return this year.
* Trainer D. Wayne Lukas, in an interview on a Louisville radio station: "We won three races, nearly four [in the 1988 Breeders' ++ Cup], and not one of them was picked by any of the handicappers."
Open Mind won the Juvenile Fillies as part of a five-filly Lukas entry. The entry was an overwhelming 1-5 favorite.
Nobody picked them?