Here are some tips that will help keep trick or treating safe:
* Accompany small children or sketch 2 maps of the route kids will take; give one map to to the children, keep one at home. Make sure children stick to the route.
* Visit only the homes of those you know.
* Dress children in light colored or reflective clothing. Remove masks when crossing streets, or, better yet, create a face with makeup.
* Hem costumes so small children won't trip.
* Use the sidewalks, cross at intersections only.
* Check all treats, discard all that are not factory wrapped and sealed; discard homemade treats.
* Be careful with jack-o'-lanterns with real candles in them.