Wildecats Strike Early But Can't Hold On In 3-1 Semifinal Loss

October 30, 1991|By Ed McDonough | Ed McDonough,Staff writer

Early in yesterday's Class 1A Region I field hockey semifinal, WildeLake was outhustling and outplaying homestanding Francis Scott Key.

But Eagles coach Marie Wilson called a timeout with her team trailing, 1-0, and rallied the troops for a 3-1 victory over the Wildecats.

"(Wilde Lake) was hitting and chasing, so we started hitting and chasing," Wilson said of the style of play early in the game.

She said her team has a penchant for allowing the opposition to dictate the flow of the game -- sometimes taking Key out of its style of play.

"We want the short passes," Wilson said. "We want to get the ballout to the wings. That's been our forte all year."

And that was Key's forte for most of yesterday's game.

Wilde Lake took an early lead when Kristin Thompson scored on a scramble in front of the goal 2:22 into the game.

From then on, it was nearly all Key.

Shortly after Wilson's timeout, the Eagles scored when Michelle Palnk centered the ball from the right side of the circle after a penalty cornerand Wendy Galandak fired it past Wildecats goalie Danielle Farace totie the score at 1-1.

"I didn't think she would give it to us," Galandak said of the goal.

Galandak shot the ball on the bounce andthe ball traveled about knee-high -- at just about the height of an illegal shot in field hockey, a sport in which the ball is supposed to remain on or near the ground.

Less that two minutes later, Galandak scored again when Farace made a good save on a shot from Angie Weaver. The rebound bounced right onto Galandak's stick, and the Eagles' leading regular-season scorer drove it home for the go-ahead goal.

The insurance goal came with 45 seconds remaining in the half. Crissy Naurot sent the ball into the middle, and Robin Lease, who had entered the game as a sub only moments before, converted for the final tally against Wilde Lake backup goalie Jami Carter.

Key took control early in the second half, continually pressuring Carter. To complicate matters for Wilde Lake, the team was called for a seemingly endless string of obstructions.

Midway through the period, Melissa Anderson received a red card when, after being called for an obstruction, she swung her stick in disgust and it grazed the leg of a Key player.

After that, however, Wilde Lake came to life offensively, led by Thompson and Kim Draggen.

But freshman goalie Missy Muller was up to the challenge, kicking away five Wildecats shots, including a pair of back-to-back attempts.

Wilson had sent Muller into the game at halftime to replace starter Gail Garver, in order to give Mullersome experience.

"Missy did a real nice job," Wilson said. "I have alot of confidence in her."

Wilson said her players were thinking about teammate Becky Tregoning, who was to undergo surgery for a ligament tear last night at Kernan Hospital in Baltimore.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.