Clues Sought In Destruction Of Hammond High Field

Holes, Cut Wires Took 'Quite A Bit Of Time'

October 30, 1991|By Jeff Seidel | Jeff Seidel,Contributing writer

Howard County Police and Hammond High officials continue to search for those who vandalized the school's football field and electrical and phone wires last weekend.

Hammond Athletic Director Bob Maxey said the vandals dug four holes, each about 3-by-4 and 3 feet deep, around the 50-yard line of the football field.

The culprits also broke into a box and cut four electrical cables, Maxey said, interrupting power to the concession stands, press box,scoreboard and public address system, along with the computer that runs the sprinkler system. The vandals also went under the press box and cut phone lines.

Maxey said the damage wasdiscovered about 10:30 a.m. Saturday, 90 minutes before Hammond's football game with Howard was to begin. The game's starting time was delayed 30 minutes whilerepairs took place.

The police still were investigating early this week, according to Sgt. Gary Gardner, public information officer for the Howard County Police. No arrests had been made.

Maxey said that, except for the press box phone line, everything was repaired in time for the game. He said he hoped the phone lines would be fixed soon.

One ton of dirt had to be purchased to fill the huge holes in the fields, Maxey said. Hammond football coach Joe Russo said the vandals took all of the dirt with them.

The Long Reach Fire Company helped school personnel fill the holes. Russo said the field caused noproblems during the game.

"You could have buried yourself in the (holes)," Maxey said.

Russo wondered if those who snipped the wires knew the danger they were facing.

"They're lucky they didn't hurt themselves," Russo said. "Those were live wires."

Maxey said everything was fine when school officials locked up the stadium at about6 the evening before, following a girls soccer game. The lengths thevandals went to surprised Maxey.

"It was a major mess," he said. "It had to take them a couple of hours to do it. It took quite a bit of time to do the damage they did."

Usually there would have been more time to make repairs, but the game had been moved up to noon from the normal 1:30 starting time. Hammond assistant coach John Cox wasgetting married and the other Hammond coaches planned on attending. Because of the 30-minute delay, Russo said, he and his four assistants missed the ceremony.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.