Earlier this month, the Liberty volleyball team ended an era when itknocked off North Carroll in three straight games -- handing the Panthers their first county loss since 1988. The Lions have yet to lose a county game, entering the week with a 5-0 mark and 10-2 overall, while the Panthers have since lost another county game to drop to 3-2.
Chances are slim the Panthers will be in position to catch the Lions for the county title, but tomorrow's finale at North Carroll will still have much at stake -- including pride.
Both teams are gearing up for the regional playoffs and would like nothing better than to end the regular season on a winning note.
Francis Scott Key will close out its season tomorrow at Williamsport.
The Eagles currently are third in the Class 1A-II region standings with a 9-4 mark, while Williamsport is atop the region with an unblemished 11-0 record. There's a solid chance these two teams may meetagain in postseason play.
In other sports this week:
* All five county cross country teams will be competing in regional meets thisweek, and Carroll teams have a legitimate chance at four team titles. Also, the top half of the teams in each region qualify for next week's state meet, as do any other individuals who place in the top 15.
Westminster's biggest challenge in the boys portion of the Class 4A Region II meet at 3 p.m. tomorrow at Western Maryland College will be from Perry Hall of Baltimore County and, possibly, Roosevelt of Prince George's County, said Owls' coach Jim Gilford. The girls, on theother hand, will face stiff competition from Frederick, Dulaney of Baltimore County and perhaps Roosevelt.
Liberty's girls, coming offa strong showing at the county meet Friday, could slip past Middletown of Frederick County and Mount Hebron of Howard County in the Class2A Region I meet at 3:30 p.m. tomorrow in Middletown. North Carroll's boys, meanwhile, have a chance to qualify for the state meet.
Francis Scott Key's boys will be favored to win the Class 1A Region II race at 2:30 p.m. tomorrow at Oregon Ridge Park in Baltimore County. The girls will be hoping to earn a state tournament berth.
South Carroll doesn't appear to have a shot at team honors in either of the Class 3A Region III meets at p.m. today at Centennial in Howard County. But the Cavs do have a chance to qualify both of their teams for the state meet.
* Both Carroll County teams of the Mason-Dixon Soccer League find themselves on the outside looking in as far as postseason play possibilities.
With three weeks remaining in the regular season, the North Carroll Arrows, 3-5 and ninth in the league, are host to eighth-place Williamsport, 4-5, Sunday at Hampstead Elementary in a fight for the eighth and final playoff spot.
The Westminster Wolves' playoff chances are slimmer. At 2-6 and 10th in the league, they may need to win the rest of their games and get some help from others.
They should find a partial remedy Sunday when they entertainwinless Greencastle, Pa., at East Middle School. Both games are at 1:30 p.m.
* The late-week playoff schedules in several sports were not yet set as of early yesterday. Please see stories on yesterday's field hockey and soccer games for more information on second-round games later in the week. Several first round games are set for today, though.
Fourth-seeded Liberty travels to top-seeded North Carroll at 7 p.m. tonight in the Class 1A/2A Region II girls soccer semifinals, while the Francis Scott Key boys, seeded fourth, visit top-seeded Wilde Lake, one of the top teams in the metro area, this afternoon at 3:15.
Here is the rest of the schedule:
(All times p.m. unless indicated)
* Cross country: Class 3ARegion III championships at Centennial, 3
* Junior varsity football: Williamsport at Francis Scott Key, 7; Thomas Johnson at Liberty, 7; South Carroll at Frederick, 7
* Freshman football: South Carroll at Frederick, 5:30
* Boys soccer: Class 1A Region II semifinals,Francis Scott Key at Wilde Lake, 3:15; Western Maryland at Shepard, 7
* Girls soccer: Class 1A/2A Region II semifinals, Liberty at North Carroll, 7
* Volleyball: Gettysburg at Western Maryland, 7
* Cross country: Class 1A Region II meet at Oregon Ridge, 2:30; Class 2A Region I meet at Middletown, 3:30; Class 4A Region II meet at Western Maryland, 3.
* Field hockey: Regional playoff games, TBA
* Junior varsity football: Southern-Anne Arundel at North Carroll, 7; Westminster at Linganore, 7
* Freshman football: ThomasJohnson at Liberty, 5:30; Southern-Anne Arundel at North Carroll, 5:30; Westminster at Linganore, 5:30
* Volleyball: Francis Scott Keyat Williamsport, JV at 5:30, varsity at 7; Liberty at North Carroll,5:30 and 7; South Carroll at Westminster, 5:30 and 7
* Football: Brunswick at Francis Scott Key, 7:30; Thomas Johnson at Liberty, 7:30; Southern-Anne Arundel at North Carroll, 7:30; South Carroll at Frederick, 7:30; Westminster at Linganore, 7:30
* Boys soccer: Playoff games, TBA
* Girls soccer: Playoff games, TBA
* Volleyball: Western Maryland at Lebanon Valley, 7
* Cross country: Western Maryland, Loyola and Shepard at Lebanon Valley, 1
* Football: Western Maryland at Lebanon Valley, 1:30
* Boys soccer: Playoff games, TBA; Western Maryland at Franklin and Marshall, 2
* Girls soccer: Playoff games, TBA
No events scheduled
* Volleyball: Playoff games, TBA