Staff report Gary Stuhler of Westminster took second Saturday in theVernon Harris Memorial Race at Potomac Speedway in Budd's Creek, Charles County.
Stuhler was a distant second to Larry Moore of Dayton, Ohio, in the 100-lap late model race sanctioned by the Short Track Auto Racing Stars late model group.
It was another strong showing for Stuhler against the STARS drivers, a group of late model racers who travel to small tracks around the country.
Earlier this month, he swept a pair of races against STARS drivers at Hagerstown Speedway.
Stuhler was a heat winner in Saturday's race, which also included two other Carroll drivers. Charlie Schaffer of Westminster finished sixth in the feature race after placing fifth in his preliminary heat and winning the B-main, or consolation, race.
Ernie Jones of Westminster, meanwhile, was sixth in his heat, third in the consolation race and 24th in the feature race.
In other auto racing news:
* Jeff Doster of Hampstead won the Class I meet and Jamie Talbert of Taneytown won the Class II event at 75-80 Dragway in Monrovia, Frederick County.
Also in Class I, Buddy Wilson of Westminster, Darrell White of Carrollton and Marry Mayne of Mount Airy made the quarterfinals. In Class II, Scott Lowman of Woodbine was a semifinalist and Jim Peddicord of Westminster reached the quarterfinals.
Gene Belt of Taneytown reached the semifinals in the motorcycle division.
* Nathan Etzler of Mount Airy reached thesemifinals in the super-pro competition Sunday at Mason-Dixon Dragway in Hagerstown, Washington County.
Steve Lee of Westminster, meanwhile, was a third-round winner in the heavy competition.
* Larry Feeser of Millers was a heat winner and placed fourth in the 12-lap thundercar race Saturday at Lincoln Speedway in Hanover, Pa.
* RichSchmelyun of Silver Run won the sprint consolation Sunday at Hagerstown Speedway.
* Trail-Way Speedway, Hanover, Pa.: Quarterfinals for National Championship Micro-Sprint, with mini-sprints and four and eight cylinders; sign-ups at 10 a.m., practice at noon, racing starts at 1 p.m. (717) 359-4310
* Hagerstown Speedway, Hagerstown: Hub City National 150, including NASCAR driver TomPeck; gates open at 10 a.m., racing starts at 2 p.m. (301) 582-0640.
* Monrovia Raceway, Monrovia: Go-kart races. Pits open at 8 a.m.,races start at noon. 239-7386.
* Trail-Way Speedway: Quarterfinals for National Championship Micro-Sprint, with mini-sprintsand four and eight cylinders; sign-ups at 10 a.m., practice at noon,racing starts at 1 p.m.
* Hagerstown Speedway: Hub City National 150, including NASCAR driver Tom Peck; gates open at 10 a.m., racing starts at 2 p.m.
* Mason-Dixon Dragway, Hagerstown: Last points races; gates open at 1 p.m., time trials at 2 p.m. and eliminations at 5:30 p.m. (301) 791-5193.
* 75-80 Dragway, Monrovia: Regular racing program; pits open at 9:30 a.m. and eliminations start at 1:30 p.m.(301) 865-5102.