Two Carroll Teams Advance To Finals In Field Hockey

Key Rallies For Win Over Wilde Lake, 3-1

October 30, 1991|By Ed McDonough | Ed McDonough,Staff writer

UNIONTOWN — Early in yesterday's Class 1A Region I field hockey semifinal, WildeLake was out-hustling and out-playing homestanding Francis Scott Key.

But Eagles coach Marie Wilson called a timeout with her team trailing, 1-0, and rallied the troops for a 3-1 victory over the Wildecats.

"(Wilde Lake) was hitting and chasing; so we started hitting and chasing," Wilson said of the style of play early in the game.

She said her team has a penchant for sometimes allowing the opposition todictate the flow of the game.

"We want the short passes," Wilson said. "We want to get the ball out to the wings. That's been our forte all year."

And that was Key's forte for most of yesterday's game.

Wilde Lake took an early lead when Kristin Thompson scored on a scramble in front of the goal just 2 minutes, 22 seconds into the game. From then on, it was nearly all Key.

Shortly after Wilson's time out, the Eagles scored when Michelle Plank centered the ball from the right side of the circle after a penalty corner and Wendy Galandakfired the ball past goalie Danielle Farace to knot the score, 1-1.

"I didn't think she would give it to us," Galandak said of the goal.

Galandak shot the ball on the bounce and it traveled about knee high -- just about at the height of an illegal shot in field hockey, a sport where the ball is supposed to remain on or near the ground.

Less that two minutes later, Galandak scored again when Farace madea good save on a shot from Angie Weaver. But the rebound bounced right on Galandak's stick, and the Eagle's leading regular-season scorerdrove it home for the go-ahead goal.

The insurance goal came withjust 45 seconds remaining in the half. Crissy Naurot sent the ball into the middle, and Robin Lease, who had entered the game as a sub only moments before, converted for the final tally against Cats back-upgoalie Jami Carter.

Key also took control early in the second half, continually pressuring Carter. In addition, Wilde Lake was called for a seemingly endless string of obstructions.

Midway through theperiod, Melissa Anderson received a red card when, after being called for an obstruction, she swung her stick in disgust and it grazed the leg of a Key player.

After that, though, Wilde Lake came to lifeoffensively, led by Thompson and Kim Draggen.

But freshman goalieMissy Muller was up to the challenge, kicking away five shots, including a pair of back-to-back attempts.

Wilson had sent Muller into the game at halftime to replace starter Gail Garver -- not because ofanything Garver did, but to give Muller some experience for the future.

"Missy did a nice job," Wilson said. "I have confidence in her."

Wilson added her players were thinking about the fate of teammate Becky Tregoning, who was to undergo surgery for an anterior cruciate ligament tear last night at Kernan's Hospital in Baltimore.

TheEagles travel to Poolesville for a 3 p.m. Thursday contest.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.