October 29, 1991

Francis J. Watkins

Owned sandwich shop

Francis J. Watkins, retired owner of a sandwich shop and snowball stand in Jacksonville, died Oct. 22 of cancer at the Johns Hopkins Hospital.

Known as "Watty," Mr. Watkins, who was 63, retired over a year ago after operating his business for 23 years.

He had earlier worked as a salesman for the Calvert Drug Co. and as a draftsman at the Glenn L. Martin Co., now Martin Marietta Corp.

The Baltimore native served in the Navy at the end of World War II and in the late 1940s as a merchant seaman aboard tankers.

Friends knew him as the unofficial mayor of Jacksonville because of his activity in the community, where he had been made an honorary member of the volunteer fire company.

He also entertained children as Watto the Clown at day-care centers and other institutions and provided an ice cream treat each summer to children at Villa Maria.

In addition, he was an usher at St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church in Texas, where a Mass was offered for Mr. Watkins on Friday.

He is survived by his fiancee, Dorothy A. Jones of Timonium; a brother, William Watkins of Reisterstown; and four sisters, Genevieve Daily of Catonsville, Helena Bigham of Baltimore, Mary Stambaugh of Timonium and Louise Hoy of White Hall.

Lucia Marion Irons

Retired social worker

Lucia Marion Irons, a native of Baltimore and the retired assistant director of the Cleveland Child Guidance Center, died Sept. 17 in a Cleveland hospital after a stroke.

Miss Irons, who was 86, retired in 1980 after 30 years with the center. She had worked for the Red Cross in England and France during World War II and earlier in Baltimore as a psychiatric social worker in a clinic at University Hospital, where she also trained teachers who were starting a social work program in the Baltimore City schools.

She was a 1924 graduate of Eastern High School and a 1928 graduate of Goucher College. She held a master's degree in social work from Smith College.

She also did graduate work at Case Western Reserve University and taught there and elsewhere in Ohio in addition to starting an organization for foster parents in Cleveland.

She is survived by several cousins and relatives. Friends suggested memorial contributions could be made to St. Alban's Church.


James H. Hoover

Retired supervisor

Services for James H. Hoover, a retired supervisor in the sheet metal division of the Johnson Laboratories Division of Becton-Dickinson Inc., will be held at 10 a.m. tomorrow at the Eline Funeral Home, 11824 Reisterstown Road, Reisterstown.

Mr. Hoover, who was 67 and lived on Nicodemus Road in Reisterstown, died Sunday of cancer at the Cherrywood Manor Extended Care Center.

He had previously done sheet metal work for the National Circuit Co. and the Westinghouse Electric Corp. since coming to Baltimore 25 years ago.

A native of Martha Furnace, Pa., he served in the Marine Corps in the Pacific during World War II and later in the 1940s in the Navy.

He is survived by his wife, the former Lou Stem Bennett; two daughters, Rebecca Conklin and Melissa Cash, both of Carson City, Nev.; three sons, James Hoover of San Mateo, Calif., Vernon Bounds Jr. of Springrove, Mo., and Wilson R. Bounds Sr. of Uniontown; a brother, Ralph Hoover of Havre de Grace; four sisters, Dorothy Heffner of Baldwinsville, N.Y., Elva Kerfoot of Phillipsburg, Pa., Betty Bottomley of Hanover, Pa., and Mildred Morris of Everett, Pa.; 14 grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

Jack I. E. Latham

Office store manager

Services for Jack I. E. Latham, former general manager of the Lucas Bros. Inc. office products stores, will be held at 10 a.m. tomorrow at Aldersgate United Methodist Church, Falls Road and West 42nd Street.

Mr. Latham died Friday at the Meridian Nursing Center-Long Green after a long illness with Parkinson's disease. He was 72.

He was employed at Lucas Bros. for 46 years, working his way up from stock boy to general manager and also purchasing agent of the retail chain. He retired in 1983.

He was active in the Baltimore Stationers Association, serving once as its president. He attended Baltimore Polytechnic Institute. He was a life member of the Rangers Social Club and was active in their bowling, softball and pinochle groups.

Mr. Latham lived in Hampden his entire life. He enjoyed gardening and was known for his beautiful azaleas.

Surviving are his wife of 51 years, the former Isabelle Chaney; a son, Jack I. E. Latham II of Towson; a daughter, Nancy L. Seitz of Lutherville; and four grandchildren.

Capt. John Atkinson

Chesapeake Bay pilot

A memorial service for Captain John E. Atkinson, a retired Chesapeake Bay pilot, will be held at 11 a.m. tomorrow at the E. F. Lassahn Funeral Home, 11750 Belair Road in Kingsville.

Captain Atkinson, who was known as Jack, died Friday at his home in Joppa of complications from a stroke.

He retired last January from the Association of Maryland Pilots after 34 years of service, much of it guiding ships in and out of the port.

He earlier worked as a salesman for Kelly Pontiac.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.