Severn's Last-minute, Game-tying Goal A Dream Come True

Player Says She Predicted Shot To Knot St. Mary's, 1-1

October 28, 1991|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,Staff writer

Severn field hockey defender Sarah Franey couldn't have dreamed up the game-ending scenario to Saturday's 1-1 tie with visiting St. Mary's on the Admirals' homecoming day -- could she?

Come on. The game-tying goal on a Katie Burrows penalty stroke, with 19 seconds remaining?

No way.

"I dreamed it last night," Franey explained. "I told Katie in the locker room before the game this morning that I had a feeling that she was going to be doing a penalty stroke."

Franey's clairvoyant abilities may be debatable, but just how the ball got by Saints keeper Margaret Pantall (three saves) remains a mystery. As it left Burrows' stick, it was a blistering shot straight into Pantall's chest pad.

Most St. Mary's fans breathed a collective sigh of relief, thinking the ball had been stopped and that the Saints had their ninth straight victory since losing, 1-0, to Severna Park.

But when Pantall looked down to see where the ball should have been -- at her feet -- it wasn't there.

Somehow, it had gotten behind her and rolled into the goal, denying Pantall her eighth shutout.

"When I hit it, I didn't think it was going in," Burrows said.

Said Franey:"I just think it was so hard, she (Pantall) couldn't stop it."

While Franey later confessed the ending wasn't exactly what she had predicted, Burrows' goal was the Admirals' saving grace in a contest otherwise dominated by the visiting Saints (14-1-2).

Severn's leadingscorer, senior Anne Schorreck (11 goals, two assists), sprained her left ankle in Friday's 1-0 victory over Maryvale. Without her, the metro area's fifth-ranked Admirals (12-1-2) had just four shots on goal-- including Borrows' tally.

Off of four penalty corners, Severn tested Pantall just twice in the 10 minutes before the intermission.

Meanwhile, the fourth-ranked Saints, who have outscored their opponents, 48-11, built a 9-0 advantage in first-period shots.

Led by Melissa Wasowski (20 goals, seven assists), the Saints' first-half penetration resulted in six penalty corners -- seven for the game. Severn keeper Christy Cole made eight of her 10 saves in the period, trying unsuccessfully to preserve her 11th shutout.

Were the Saints frustrated by an Admirals defense that has allowed just four goals thisyear?

"Absolutely," St. Mary's coach Lisa Howe said.

"In the first half, we had so many shots, but we just couldn't get anything inthe back of the net," said Howe, whose Saints tied Annapolis, 2-2, for the only other blemish on their record. "They had good stops and good drives, but we were able to get around with our dodges."

But Cole was tested just once in the second half, behind defenders Burrows, Franey, Carmen Fifer and Brenna Ryan, who limited the Saints to just three more shots.

"The second half, I know Severn wanted it bad.But we did too, because we're rivals and this is a big game," Howe said. "I just felt like we really dominated the game. I think we did alot of things that showed that we were more of the finesse team."

Wasowski, who was tightly and effectively marked by Marisa Braun, did plenty -- but she didn't score.

"I had a girl like, right here on me the whole game," said Wasowski, slapping her right hand against her left shoulder and gripping it hard for emphasis. "Then, Sarah Franey, whenever I was near the goal, she was doing a good job. We kept it on the right side mostly because we knew I was going to be double-teamed. But then, when they started double-teaming on that side, we started switching fields."

That's how the Saints scored the go-ahead goal on a fast break.

With the defense drawn to Wasowski on the left, junior Robin Lanasa broke free on the right to put the visitorsahead, 1-0, with five minutes left.

"Everyone else was toward theleft, so I was open when Renee Kretkowski crossed it," said Lanasa, who has seven goals. "I felt good, and I thought we were going to win. I didn't think they would score."

Under first-year coach Cathy Schorreck, Severn leads the Association of Independent Schools Division with a 6-1-1 league record. The Admirals, who tied Garrison Forest,1-1, and suffered a 1-0 loss to St. Paul's, are favored to win the Nov. 5 AIS tournament.

"The tournament is what's most important," Schorreck said. "I'm satisfied with a tie today, but what a game."

Said Howe, whose club lost last year's meeting, 1-0: "That's how it is every year with Severn. It's just a real power-packed game."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.