3rd suspect seized in June beating death Man was to testify against two others.

October 28, 1991|By Richard Irwin | Richard Irwin,Evening Sun Staff

Police have arrested a man they describe as the third and final suspect in the apparent unprovoked beating death last June of a 45-year-old man as he walked alone on a brick pathway in Patterson Park.

In an unrelated slaying, police Friday arrested a man being soughtin last week's fatal shooting of a 17-year-old Pimlico-area resident during an argument.

In the Patterson Park incident, homicide Detective David Brown said Christopher Stanley Mills, 18, of the first block of Fenway South in Middle River, Baltimore County, was arrested Thursday and charged with the first-degree murder of James Charles Turch.

Turch was beaten to death with a 6-foot-long wooden stake on the night of June 27.

Brown said Mills was a witness in the case and was in BaltimoreCircuit Court on Thursday prepared to testify during the trial of two teen-agers, Terry H. Ostrowski, of the 1600 block of E. Baltimore St., and Anthony Fields, of the 300 block of S. Madeira St., who were arrested in connection with Turch's murder and charged as adults.

After police called Mills into the hallway outside the courtroom, he was taken to police headquarters and later charged with first-degree murder.

Brown said Mills was a suspect in the murder of Turch, a restaurant employee who lived in the 2300 block of E. Fayette St., shortly after the victim's body was found lying on a brick walkway near the southwest corner of the park, but that until Thursday there wasn't enough information to charge him.

After being charged, Mills was remanded to the Baltimore City Detention Center, where he is being held without bail.

Brown said Mills' arrest caused a postponement of the murder trial of Ostrowski and Fields.

He said Turch, who was intoxicated when attacked, was apparently beaten to death for no reason other than that he was vulnerable.

Brown said a 17-year-old boy, who happened upon the body shortly after Turch was killed, robbed the body of less than $5 and was later arrested and charged as a juvenile with theft.

On Friday, police arrested Samuel Edward Gregory, 24, of the 2600 block of Quantico Ave., on a warrant charging him with the fatal shooting Oct. 19 of Michael Dickey, of the 2800 block of Quantico Ave., during an argument.

Dickey died a short time later at Sinai Hospital, police said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.