Oh, Baby, It Was A Close One, But Ccgh Was Ready

Westminster Couple's Child Makes Hasty Appearance

October 27, 1991|By Cindy Parr | Cindy Parr,Contributing writer

Nanette and Barry Dubit planned to head for Baltimore County last month for the birth of their third child.

Mother Nature had other plans.

The couple's second son, Michael Fleming Dubit, was born 3:35 a.m. Sept. 3 at Carroll County General Hospital.

Barry, 35, of Westminster remembers well that September morning, when his wife told him it was time to leave their New Bachman Valley Road home for the Greater Baltimore Medical Center, their planned destination.

"When she walked out the door to get into the car at 3:10 a.m., I knew it was going to be close," Barry said.

"She kept walking in circles, saying'I want to push, I want to push.'

"I told her to blow like we learned in Lamaze class, instead of pushing," Barry said. "I knew we hada 50-minute drive ahead of us, and there was no way she could push yet."

Nanette, 36, did her best to deal with contractions separatedby only a few moments.

As the contractions came more frequently, the couple realized that their new child had no intention of making the trip to GBMC.

"When we were on Route 97 going toward Westminster, Barry, who is a take-charge person, called Dr. (Dale) Green (her obstetrician/gynecologist), on his car phone and told him that we would not be coming there, but would go to Carroll County General Hospital," Nanette said.

"Barry told him that my contractions were too close together and that he didn't want to take any chances. Dr. Green agreed."

Moving down Route 140 as quickly as they could, the coupleturned onto Center Street, where Nanette remembers telling her husband to pass a truck.

"I don't remember going to the hospital," she said. "But I do remember telling Barry to pass this truck that I thought was going too slow.

"I was really in a lot of pain, and I wanted to be at the hospital right then. He had to do something. It was either pass the truck, or I was going to crawl out of the car window."

A hospital employee taking a break witnessed their hasty arrival at the emergency room entrance.

"This lady was great," said Barry."She got Nan out of the car and into a wheelchair and pushed her right down to Labor and Delivery. She kept pleading with Nan not to pushuntil they got a nurse and the doctor."

Immediately, a labor and delivery nurse situated Nan in a birthing room.

"I will never forget going to Labor and Delivery," said Nanette. "All the lights were out and there was no one anywhere. The nurses were in the nursery, andthe doctor was sleeping. Then, suddenly, I am on a monitor and readyto deliver."

Within minutes, Dr. Pocken Penn, a Westminster ob/gyn, made his way into the birthing room, introduced himself and delivered the 8-pound, 8-ounce boy -- only five minutes after Nanette was admitted to the hospital.

"She was on the table, and I came in and knew right away that it was time," Penn recalled. "I asked her to push three, maybe four times, and out came the baby.

"I think if theyhadn't come to Carroll County General, they would have delivered thebaby on Route 140 or I-795."

Fortunately, Penn said, they chose the nearer hospital, as further medical care was required.

"Right after Michael was born, there were some problems," said Barry. "He hada bowel movement in the womb and had aspirated it into his lungs."

"In a baby's bowel movements, there is a chemical called meconium, which can cause inflammation of the lungs," Penn said. "If they had not been in a hospital, there could have been potential problems."

With the 24-hour, in-house pediatrician program at CCGH, a pediatrician was available immediately to take care of Michael.

"They put him on oxygen for two days and got him straightened out," said Barry.

"I can't say enough good things about Carroll County General Hospital. Considering our circumstances, they were on the ball and ready, with just minutes to prepare."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.