Col. C. Temple Thomason dies at 80
Services for C. Temple Thomason, a retired colonel in the U.S. Air Force Reserve and the former associate director of the Baltimore Veterans Administration Hospital, will be held at 1 p.m. Nov. 3 at Towson Unitarian Universalist Church, 1710 Dulaney Valley Road.
Mr. Thomason died of heart failure Tuesday at his home in Lutherville. He was 80.
Born in Blue Springs, Mo., Mr. Thomason earned a degree in business administration in 1937 at the University of Maryland, where he was a member of Theta Chi fraternity. He married his college sweetheart, the former Catherine Dennis, in 1938.
After his graduation, Mr. Thomason was commissioned into the Air Force as a lieutenant. During World War II, he served as an aide to Gen. Henry H. "Hap" Arnold, selected sites for airfields and became the liaison officer between the Air Force and Congress.
Mr. Thomason joined the Air Force Reserve after the war and served as commandant of the O'Hare Air Force Reserve in Chicago. He retired from the Reserve in 1964.
Meanwhile, Mr. Thomason was working for the Veterans Administration, selecting hospital sites around the country. He was an associate director at several VA hospitals before coming to Baltimore in 1963 to work at the VA hospital on Loch Raven Boulevard. He remained there until his retirement in 1974.
He served as president of the Baltimore Alumni Association of the University of Maryland and was the 1980 recipient of the Gottwals Award for outstanding alumni service. He and his wife were also honored by the Johns Hopkins University last year for serving as a host family to foreign graduate students for 15 years.
Besides his wife, Mr. Thomason is survived by a daughter, Joan Temple Harrison of Ruxton; a son, James Thomason of Catonsville; a sister, Bertha Thomason of Towson; and one granddaughter.
The family suggests contributions to the Southwestern Community Mental Health Center, 10 Winters Lane, Catonsville 21228.
John P. Cregon
A Mass of Christian burial for John P. Cregon, a retired addiction counselor, will be offered at 9 a.m. today at St. Charles Roman Catholic Church, 101 Church Lane, Pikesville.
Mr. Cregon, who was 75 and lived in Towson, died Sunday of cancer at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center.
He retired about 10 years ago as a counselor at the old Mount Wilson State Hospital and was active in Alcoholics Anonymous.
A native of New York, he lived in Maryland for 45 years.
He is survived by his wife, the former Elizabeth Hawkins Bauer; a son, John P. Cregon Jr. of Shadyside; a daughter, Barbara Nicholson of Annapolis; two stepdaughters, Toni Allegra of Lochearn and Charlotte Bauer of Greenville, N.C.; three sisters, Julia Schiller, Anne Cregon and Veronica Hollander, all of Annapolis; a brother, James Cregon of Atlanta; four grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.
Paul Youngman Sr.
Paul D. Youngman Sr., a retired plumber and steamfitter, died Oct. 12 at the Meridian Nursing Center-Corsica Hills in Centreville of a circulatory illness.
Mr. Youngman, who was 77 and lived in Pasadena for many years, retired nearly 20 years ago after working for plumbing firms in the Baltimore area.
Mr. Youngman was a native of Union Bridge.
His wife, the former Alice Marie Lynch, died in 1978.
He is survived by two sons, Paul D. Youngman Jr. of Pasadena and Phillip J. Youngman of Shrewsbury, Pa.; a daughter, Barbara N. Marino of Tampa, Fla.; three brothers, Harry F. Baer of Cocoa Beach, Fla., Philip E. Baer of Ellicott City and George K. Baer of Boston; eight grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.
Services for Mr. Youngman were private.
Dr. Bernard Cohen
Services for Dr. Bernard J. Cohen, a retired internist and cardiologist, will be held at 11 a.m. today at the Sol Levinson & Bros. funeral home, 6010 Reisterstown Road.
Dr. Cohen, who was 88 and lived in the Highfield House apartments, died Tuesday at Keswick of complications after hip surgery.
He retired eight years ago after maintaining a private practice in internal medicine and cardiology in Baltimore for more than half a century.
Dr. Cohen served as head of the cardiology department and co-chief of the department of medicine at Sinai Hospital in the 1940s. He also headed the pharmacy committees at Sinai and at Union Memorial hospitals and was a member of the staff at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center.
In the 1930s, he worked in an allergy clinic at the Johns Hopkins Hospital and taught courses in diagnosis at both the Johns Hopkins and University of Maryland medical schools.
A native of Baltimore, he was a graduate of City College and the University of Maryland pharmacy school before earning his degree at the university's medical school in 1927.
He worked during medical school as a pharmacist and as a piano player for silent movies. He continued playing for pleasure for many years and was often asked to perform by residents of nursing homes where he was visiting patients.