3-3 Tie Wins Atholton Boys A Regional Playoff Berth

Raiders Shock Centennial With 2-0 Lead, Stay Alive Through Double Ot

October 23, 1991|By Rick Belz | Rick Belz,Staff writer

The Atholton High School boys soccer team clinched a regional playoff spot by tying top-ranked Centennial 3-3 yesterday at Atholton.

The Raiders (6-3-2 overall, 4-0-2 league) surprised the favored Eaglesby taking a 2-0 lead at halftime.

Centennial (9-0-2, 4-0-2) rallied in the second half, scoring thetying goal with 12 minutes left to play.

Centennial goalie Brock Yetso made four outstanding saves in the two 10-minute overtime periods to preserve a tie for the Eagles.

Atholton's star striker, TonyDedmond, played one of his best games, scoring two goals.

He put Atholton on the board in the 24th minute off an assist from John Walter. Walter drove down the middle of the field and was stopped by two Eagle defenders. But he passed left to Dedmond, who whirled quickly and kicked a left-footer inside the far post.

Dedmond made it 2-0 in the 36th minute by kicking a 45-yard free kick past Alex Denno. Dedmond slipped in behind the defense and was a few feet from goal when he made the kick with Yetso tightly guarding him.

Dedmond appearedto have a third goal in the fifth minute of the second half but was ruled offsides.

"No way was that offsides," he said.

Centennial's Allen Alejandro made it 2-1 when he scored off a throw-in in the second half. The ball touched Atholton goalie Josh Seidman's hands.

Two minutes later Centennial's top scorer, Josh Baer, was tackled inthe penalty box by Brian Yankle, who played an outstanding game against Baer.

Cullen Meade made the penalty kick for the Eagles, kicking it into the net.

David Kelley put Atholton ahead, 3-2, in the 26th minute with a hard shot to the center of the goal.

Tod Downen tied it, 3-3, after Josh Baer turned the corner on the right side, drove toward goal and passed off to Downen in front of the goal. Downenhad an easy shot from five yards out that he kicked into the net.

Both teams had numerous other good scoring opportunities.

Centennial missed a header into an open net off a throw-in in the 10th minute of the first half. Keeper Seidman had fallen down trying to get position.

"Atholton really got cranked up after that and took it to us in the first half," Centennial Coach Bill Stara said.

Dedmond said that Atholton's game plan was to play offense from the start.

"We knew we had to get the first goal or else they'd go into their defensive shell and we'd be in trouble," he said. "This is one of the team's strongest performances and also one of mine."

Atholton needs a victory over Wilde Lake on Friday to clinch at least a tie for the county title.

Centennial has also clinched a regional playoff spotand faces Mount Hebron on Friday.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.