Centennial, Glenelg Can't Settle Score, 0-0

Field Hockey Teams Go Todouble Overtime

October 23, 1991|By Gary Lambrecht | Gary Lambrecht,Staff writer

Centennial and Glenelg tried to settle the county field hockey championship yesterday at Glenelg High School, but after 80 hard-fought minutes, the issue remained up in the air.

First-place Glenelg and the second-place Eagles battled to a 0-0 tie in double overtime.

The Gladiators could have clinched the league title and nearly guaranteed themselves the home-field advantage as the second seed in the first round of next week's Class 2A Region I playoffs. Glenelg still can sew up the county title with a victory at Hammond on Friday.

But because they failed to beat the Eagles, the Gladiators may have to settle for the third seed in the regionals, which means they wouldhave to travel.

"I hate ties; I would rather lose," said Glenelg coach Ginger Kincaid, whose Gladiators (4-0-2, 8-1-2) have not lost in nine games but played Mount Hebron to a scoreless deadlock last week. "I feel like we played 80 minutes for nothing.

"We must have had a zillion chances to win it in overtime," she said.

Glenelg is no stranger to overtime. The Gladiators needed two extra periods to beat Howard, 3-2, Friday and edged Wilde Lake, 1-0, three weeks ago in a single overtime.

Centennial (5-4-1, 4-1-1) had not played an overtime game since losing, 1-0, to Westminster of Carroll County last month.

But the Eagles, who are headed for next week's Class 3A Region III playoffs, held off numerous Glenelg scoring opportunities withexcellent backfield defense. Centennial ran into the same type of defense in front of the Glenelg goal repeatedly.

The defenses dominated regulation, keeping the ball out of the circles for the most part.

Overtime rules stipulate that each team field seven players for a 10-minute period. The first goal ends the game. If no goals are scored in the first OT, the teams send six new players (retaining their goalies) for another 10-minute period.

Each team had opportunitiesto win in overtime. The Eagles and Gladiators each got off three shots in the first period. Centennial goalie Meghan Carr's save of Amy Dutra's shot with 6:15 left saved the game for the Eagles.

In the second OT, Carr made her final save with 2:40 to go on a bouncing shotfrom close range by Jen Soule.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.