The racing season is swiftly drawing to a close, but several Carrolldrivers are remaining hot as the weather cools.
No where have they fared better than at 75-80 Dragway in Monrovia, Frederick County.
Two county drivers used the final day of points racing to clinch championships at the nearby strip. Joe Mayne of Mount Airy took the top honors in Class I (for cars running the quarter-mile in 11.99 seconds or less) in his dragster, while Roger Jorss of Sykesville used the last two points races to vault into first in Class II.
Jorss edged out Union Bridge resident Mike Stambuagh, who had been leading thedivision all summer, for the title.
Two other county drivers, meanwhile, won individual competitions Sunday. Todd Harris of Westminster raced his dragster to first in a special Super Comp race (8.90 seconds or faster), while B. J. Morrissett of Westminster won the regularClass II race.
Bruce Combs of Westminster was a semifinalist in Class I, while Darrell White of Carrollton reached the quarterfinals and Tim Peters of Westminster and Barry Parker of Sykesville made it to the third round.
In other motorsports action:
* The Deavers family of Westminster excelled Saturday at Lincoln Speedway in Hanover, Pa.
The Lee Deavers-owned car driven by Ronnie Grinestaff of Manchester, Pa., won its 16th of 26 semi-late-model features at Lincoln,while Deavers' son Tom placed sixth as a driver in the same race.
Randy Zechman of Westminster placed second in that race. Rick Schmelyun Jr. of Silver Run won the consolation run.
In the thundercar feature, Larry Feeser of Millers was fourth.
* Gary Stuhler of Westminster placed 13th in the 11th annual Turbo Blue/Edge Racing Fuels Dirt Track World Championship Sunday at Pennsboro (W.Va.) Speedway.
* Cris Eash, formerly of Woodbine, finished sixth in the 25-lap sprint feature Friday night at Path Valley Speedway in Spring Run, Pa. Eash also placed fourth among 23 sprint car drivers at the Delaware International Speedway.
* Lincoln Speedway, Hanover, Pa.: Sprint cars, thundercars and 100-lap enduro; gates open at 5 p.m., racing starts at 7:30. (717) 624-2755.
* Trail-Way Speedway, Hanover, Pa.: Supercross cycles and four-wheel drives;gates open at 3 p.m., racing starts at 7. (717) 359-4310.
* Monrovia Raceway, Monrovia: Go-kart races. Pits open at 8 a.m., races start at noon. 239-7386.
* Hagerstown Speedway, Hagerstown: Big Fall Classic with twin features in both sprint and late-model divisions, plus swap meet and flea market; racing starts at 2 p.m. (301)582-0640.
* Mason-Dixon Dragway, Hagerstown: Into the Night Races; gates open at 1 p.m., time trials at 2 and eliminations at 5:30. (301) 791-5193.
* 75-80 Dragway, Monrovia: National Hot Rod Association S/S meet plus regular races; eliminations start at 1:30 p.m. (301) 865-5102.