The most interesting battle in the county cross country championships Friday likely will be for second place -- with the Westminster boysand girls by far the class of the county.
The Owls boys dominatedthe Central Maryland Conference race Saturday, placing four runners in the top five. They breezed to a 23-81 victory over second-place South Carroll, and it shouldn't be any different in the county race.
The Francis Scott Key-South Carroll run for second should be closer.
The individual boys title is up for grabs, however, with a number of candidates looking to take top honors.
In the CMC meet, Westminster's Jim Holford edged North Carroll senior Matt Davis by 11 seconds. Throw in Francis Scott Key's Jim Clarius, along with the threeother Westminster runners who finished in the top five on Saturday -- Dion Stanton, Brandon Duvall and Chris Zendgraft -- and the individual race gets interesting.
The girls race is much clearer, thanks to Westminster's Stephanie Morningstar, who should have little trouble claiming the individual title and leading the Owls to the team championship.
The next county finisher in the CMC race was Liberty's Jen Myers, who placed sixth and came across more than a minute after Morningstar.
In other sports this week:
* The Westminster golf team will head to College Park in Prince George's County on Friday to compete in the state championships.
Dean Blankenship, Darren Marting, Todd Dorsey and Wes Snow are the four golfers representing Westminster.
"There's going to be some good competition," Westminster co-coach Jeff Ibex said.
"Some of the kids went down (to College Park on Sunday) with me and checked out the course and shot pretty well.Now they have an idea of the course and I feel we have a good shot at the top 10."
* The top four spots on the Central Maryland Conference boys soccer standings belong to Carroll County teams.
Liberty, which entered the week 4-0 in the CMC and 8-2 overall, will travel to North Carroll (4-0, 6-4) tomorrow in each team's final regular-season match.
Liberty also is in the driver's seat to take the countycrown with a 3-1 mark entering the week.
The Westminster Owls canstill have a say in the county and CMC races as they close out theirseason at South Carroll. At the start of the week, Westminster owneda 7-3 overall record, 2-1 in the county and 3-1 in the CMC.
* TheWestern Maryland College football team will try to bounce back from last Saturday's 28-25 loss at Dickinson when they play host to Franklin and Marshall on Saturday.
The Green Terrors are in second in the Centennial Football Conference with a 3-1 mark (behind Dickinson's 3-0 record), and F & M still is in contention with a 2-1 mark.
In high school action, Westminster (0-7) will try to notch its first winof the season when it faces Liberty (2-5) Friday.
Liberty has been struggling of late as well, losing a 26-12 decision to Southern of Anne Arundel County on Friday.
South Carroll improved to 5-2 on the year with a 34-20 win over Thomas Johnson. They will try to stay onthe winning track Friday when they take on Damascus.
(All times p.m. unless indicated)
* Field hockey: North Carroll at Liberty, JV at 5:30, varsity at 7.
* Junior varsity football: Francis Scott Key at Brunswick, 7; Liberty at Westminster, 7; Frederick at North Carroll, 7
* Freshman football: Libertyat Westminster, 5:30; Frederick at North Carroll, 5:30
* Girls soccer: Catoctin at Francis Scott Key, JV at 5:30, varsity at 7
* Volleyball: Western Maryland at Washington, 7
* Field hockey: Francis Scott Key at Middletown, JV at 5:30, varsity at 7; Linganore at South Carroll, 7; Westminster at Quince Orchard, 3:15; Western Maryland at Lebanon Valley, 4
* Golf: Westminster at state championships in College Park, 9 a.m.
* Boys soccer: Walkersville at Francis Scott Key, JV at 5:30, varsity at 7; Liberty at North Carroll,JV at 5:30, varsity at 7; Westminster at South Carroll, 5:30 and 7
* Girls soccer: Frederick at Liberty, JV at 5:30, varsity at 7; North Carroll at Thomas Johnson, 5:30 and 7; South Carroll at Westminster, 5:30 and 7; Marymount at Western Maryland, 4
* Volleyball: South Hagerstown at Francis Scott Key, JV at 5:30, varsity at 7; Westminster at Liberty, 5:30 and 7; North Carroll at Frederick, 6 and 7:30; Howard at South Carroll, 5:30 and 7; Western Maryland at Messiah, 7
* Cross country: County championships at Western Maryland College, 3:30
* Football: South Hagerstown at Francis Scott Key, 7:30; Liberty at Westminster, 7:30; Frederick at North Carroll, 7:30; Damascus at South Carroll, 7:30
* Golf: Westminster at state championships, 9 a.m.
* Cross country: Western Maryland at Gettysburg Invitational, 10 a.m.
* Football: Franklin and Marshallat Western Maryland, 1:30
* Boys soccer: Dickinson at Western Maryland, 11 a.m.
* Women's soccer: St. Mary's at Western Maryland, 1
* Field hockey: Possible playoff games, TBA
* Juniorvarsity football: Western Maryland at Lebanon Valley, 3
* Volleyball: Catoctin at Francis Scott Key, JV at 5:30, varsity at 7; Frederick at South Carroll, 5:30 and 7; Linganore at Westminster, 4
* Field hockey: Possible playoff games, TBA
* Boys soccer: Possible playoff games, TBA
* Girls soccer: Possible playoff games,TBA
* Volleyball: Thomas Johnson at Liberty, 4; Westminster at North Carroll, JV at 5:30, varsity at 7