2 Indicted In Slaying Of Baltimore Woman

House-sitter Accused Of Stabbing Cullen, 74

October 23, 1991|By Maria Archangelo | Maria Archangelo,Staff writer

Investigators say 74-year-old Margaret Cullen trusted the young man who watched her Baltimore home while her husband was hospitalized.

But a Carroll grand jury indicted the young man and a friend Monday on charges of kidnapping Cullen and stabbing her to death in a Hampstead cornfield, leaving her bewildered husband waiting in vain for hernext hospital visit.

Abras "Sandy" Morrison, 20, of Baltimore was indicted on charges of first-degree murder and kidnapping. Morrison's friend, 20-year-oldTroy Shellington of Baltimore, was indicted on the same charges.

They were being held without bail late yesterday at the Baltimore City Detention Center on $1 million bond each.

Police believe Cullen,of Springlake Way in Homeland, was stabbed to death on the morning of Aug. 15, after being dragged from a car into the woods near the cornfield on Route 30.

Cullen was alive but unconscious during the drive to the cornfield. She cried out when she was dragged from the car, police said.

Her decomposed body was discovered Aug. 25 by detectives who were led to the shallow grave by Shellington.

Her body was buried under a sheet of plastic, police said.

Police believe that when Cullen arrived at her home Aug. 14 after visiting her 80-year-old husband at Good Samaritan Hospital in Baltimore, she found a pane of glass broken out of the back door and two men, who then subdued her.

The men forced Cullen to call her Signet Bank branch and tellofficials there not to prosecute the person who forged her name on acheck Aug. 9 and then deposited $2,000 into his own account, police reports said.

Police say Morrison allegedly forged the check and forced Cullen to call the bank.

After the call, police believe, Cullen was bound to a chair and gagged. After dark, the men carried Cullen from her house, placed her in her 1984 Cadillac Eldorado and droveher to Carroll County, police said.

Five days later, officials atthe hospital reported Cullen's failure to visit her husband and toldpolice the woman could not be reached by phone. City police began investigating her disappearance and the forged check.

A note found at the Cullen home led police to Shellington and Morrison, who were arrested Aug. 25 after being spotted driving the Cullens' Eldorado.

Morrison and Shellington, who reportedly met and became friends at a church in East Baltimore, have fingered each other as Cullen's killer, police said.

When first arrested, one suspect said Cullen was strangled to death; the other said she was stabbed.

Police said Cullen met Morrison when he worked with her husband as a private nursing aide at the hospital, and then contracted him to house-sit.

The Cullens have no children, police said.

Bench warrants on the indictments were issued Monday for Morrison and Shellington by Circuit JudgeRaymond E. Beck Sr.

Westminster State Police Sgt. Morgan Storey said he did not know if the warrants had been served as of late yesterday.

The warrants were to be served by state police Cpl. Wayne Moffatt, who is on sick leave, Storey said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.