3 teens charged in gang beating In another incident, girl, 8, is attacked by 9-year-old boys.

October 23, 1991|By Alisa Samuels | Alisa Samuels,Evening Sun Staff Robert Hilson Jr., Joe Nawrozki and Richard Irwin contributed to this story.

In The Evening Sun Wednesday and yesterday, city police misidentified the school where an 8-year-old girl was beaten by a group of boys. In fact, the attack occurred outside Patapsco Elementary School in the 800 block of Roundview Road.

The Evening Sun regrets the errors.

As a large crowd stood and watched without intervening, 17-year-old high school student was pummeled and kicked into unconsciousness yesterday by a gang of about 14 young people who stole the victim's football jacket.

In another case, an 8-year-old South Baltimore girl was beaten, kicked and knocked to the ground by five 9-year-old boys "for no apparent reason" yesterday as she left Cherry Hill Elementary School, police spokeswoman Arlene Jenkins said.


The girl was listed in stable condition today at University of Maryland Medical Center.

An 18-year-old man and two juveniles have been charged by police with assault in connection with the attack on the 17-year-old and more suspects are being sought.

Reginald "Reggie" Starks was attacked about 3 p.m. yesterday when he left Venable High School after classes were dismissed, police said. Venable is a special education school in the 700 block of E. 34th St., not far from Memorial Stadium.

The victim was listed in serious but stable condition today at the Shock-Trauma Unit in Baltimore, a hospital spokesman said. Karen V. Poe, a spokeswoman for the city school system, said Starks regained consciousness early today and carried on a conversation with a family member.

The teen-ager was walking toward Old York Road where he was to catch a Mass Transit Administration bus when he was surrounded by a group of young males, Officer Robert Vane of the Northern District said.

"He was beaten, slammed, kicked, everything," said Vane. "After he was unconscious on the ground, they still continued to beat and kick him."

Police said Starks' Los Angeles Raiders ski-type jacket was stolen by his attackers.

After the attack, Starks, who is brain-damaged as a result of being struck by a car in 1984, lay unconscious in the 3300 block of Old York Road, police said.

Because school had just been dismissed, and curious neighbors left their homes, a crowd of at least 50 people stood watching, Vane said.

The onlookers didn't try to stop the attack, he added. "He [Starks] had a friend with him who didn't help," Vane said.

Several hours after the beating, police arrested Lamont Rogers, 18, of the 2300 block of Guilford Ave., his brother and another youth, both 17. The arrests were made after information was provided to police by witnesses to the attack.

Police said Rogers was being held at the Northern District lockup pending a bail hearing before a District Court commissioner.

His brother and the other juvenile were sent to the Charles H. Hickey Jr. School at Cub Hill in Baltimore County pending action by juvenile authorities, police said.

The three were also charged with theft of the jacket, valued at more than $300, police said.

Police could not say how long Starks was unconscious.

Outside Starks' North Chester Street row house last night, his cousin, John Rhames Jr., 25, said the beating stemmed from an argument between Starks and another student Monday.

"Yesterday, he told my grandmother he had a little problem at school," Rhames said. "She said, 'Don't worry about it. Everything should be OK.' "

But it wasn't, he added. The other student recruited friends and family and "banked him and beat him up," Rhames said.

Robert McGee, 22, Starks' oldest brother, said the subject of the argument wasn't known. "Only Reggie and the guy know," he said, adding he could not understand why his brother was attacked.

Robert McGee said his brother wasn't the type to pick fights. "Reggie doesn't really do too much," he said. "He stays in the house and watches TV on the couch or goes outside and plays with his friends. He's a good kid."

Photos of Starks and his family decorated the family's small living room, as did at least one of his lacrosse trophies.

In 1984, Starks received a head injury when he was hit by a car while skating, Robert McGee said. The accident affected his learning abilities, Robert McGee said. "That's why his reading is slow," his brother said.

At 8 o'clock last night, Starks would normally have been home watching television, his brother said. Instead, he lay in the hospital.

His grandmother, 62, was staying close by his side at the hospital. She has helped bring up Starks and his two brothers and two sisters. Their mother died four months ago, family members said.

In the other beating, Jenkins said 8-year-old Danielle Lashune Allen was attacked by a group of 9-year-old boys as she left Cherry Hill Elementary in the 800 block of Roundview Road shortly before 3 p.m. yesterday.

Police said Danielle was in front of the school when the boys approached her and began beating and kicking her.

Danielle struck her head on the sidewalk as she fell, Jenkins said. She was taken to University of Maryland Medical Center.

No arrests have been made, Jenkins said.

In an unrelated beating in May, Expedito "Pedro" Lugo, 24, was beaten by a gang of teen-agers with his own baseball bat and their fists near Patterson Park. A 19-year-old man and three teen-agers were charged in that beating, which fractured Lugo's skull and left him in a coma for weeks.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.