Here's what Maryland's eight congressional districts will look like next year:
* FIRST -- Combines all of the Eastern Shore's 343,000 residents with 240,000 people in Anne Arundel County and 14,000 in the Brooklyn-Curtis Bay area of Baltimore. Pits Eastern Shore Rep. Wayne T. Gilchrest, R-1st, against Democrat Tom McMillen, who now represents the Anne Arundel-based 4th District.
* SECOND -- Includes 370,000 residents of Baltimore County, all 182,000 Harford County residents and 46,000 people from the Gibson Island and Broadneck areas of Anne Arundel County. This district is tailor-made for Rep. Helen D. Bentley, R-2nd, whose present district takes in much of eastern Baltimore County.
* THIRD -- This inverted C-shaped district is similar to the district represented by incumbent Rep. Benjamin L. Cardin, D-3rd. It takes in 252,000 people from Baltimore, 195,000 from Baltimore County (including Pikesville, Owings Mills and Parkville), 63,000 from western Anne Arundel County north of Jessup and 88,000 in Howard County, including Columbia and Elkridge.
* FOURTH -- This is the new "minority district" that curves around the District of Columbia. It includes 438,000 people in Prince George's County and 159,000 in Montgomery. There will be no incumbent, as McMillen will be in the 1st District and Rep. Steny H. Hoyer, D-5th, who now represents most of the people in this area, will be running in a redrawn 5th District.
* FIFTH -- Hoyer's new district, which snakes northward from Southern Maryland, comprises 291,000 Prince George's residents, all of Charles, St. Mary's and Calvert counties, plus 78,000 people from Anne Arundel County.
* SIXTH -- Rep. Beverly Byron, D-6th, continues to represent most of her current constituents in a district that includes Western Maryland, Frederick and Carroll counties and 100,000 Howard County residents.
* SEVENTH -- This minority-dominated district, now represented by Rep. Kweisi Mfume, D-7th, has expanded further into Baltimore County. It includes 470,000 city residents and 128,000 from the county west of the city line.
* EIGHTH -- This is the only district contained within one county, Montgomery, and it's represented by Republican Rep. Constance A. Morella.