3 die in traffic accidents over weekend Father and teen-age son are killed in crash.

October 21, 1991|By Richard Irwin | Richard Irwin,Evening Sun Staff

State Police reported three people died in traffic accidents over the weekend, including a St. Mary's County man and his teen-age son who died of injuries they received when their car was struck by another car driven by a 14-year-old boy.

About 8 a.m. Saturday in Southern Maryland, Edward L. Holton, 49, of Charlotte Hall, was driving a 1984 Isuzu sedan north on Md. 5 in Helen. A southbound 1986 Ford Thunderbird crossed the center line when the driver lost control while negotiating a curve at a high rate of speed and struck Holton's car, police said.

Police said the impact caused the Isuzu to overturn before it crashed into a ditch.

Holton and his son, Samuel Aaron Holton, 16, who was in the back seat, were taken to St. Mary's Hospital in Leonardtown, where they died about two hours after the crash, police said.

Another son, Wilson Vernon Holton, 17, was flown to the Med Star Shock-Trauma Center in Washington, where he was listed today in serious condition, police said.

The 14-year-old driver of the Thunderbird was also taken to St. Mary's Hospital and was released following treatment of minor injuries, police said.

Police said that charges were pending against the 14-year-old, who was driving his father's car.

State Police at the Golden Ring Barracks said Mauro Bruno, 23, of Rome, was a passenger in a rented Ford station wagon that left the westbound lane of the Beltway just east of Falls Road and struck a tree about 6:20 a.m. Saturday.

The car was driven by Massimilliano Autullo, 21, also of Rome, who apparently fell asleep at the wheel, police said. Police said Bruno, whose family lives in Rome and was notified through the Italian consulate in Baltimore, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Autullo and another passenger, Luca Montovani, 21, also of Rome, were taken to Sinai Hospital, where Autullo was listed today in good condition and Montovani was in critical condition, police said.

Police said the three were headed to Washington for sightseeing after attending a business training session in New York City. From Washington, the three men were to have returned next Saturday to Italy.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.