6 people killed in Baltimore, Prince George's Pimlico youth slain as he tries to flee following an argument

October 21, 1991|By Erik Nelson

Six people -- including a 17-year-old Pimlico youth -- were shot or stabbed to death in Baltimore and Prince George's County in weekend violence. As of last night, detectives had no suspects in four of the slayings.

The teen-age victim, Michael Dickey, was shot in the back after an argument near his home just before midnight Saturday on Quantico Avenue in Pimlico, Baltimore homicide detectives said.

Michael, of the 2800 block Quantico Avenue, died 45 minutes later at Sinai Hospital of a heart wound. Detectives issued a first-degree murder warrant for Samuel Edward Gregory, 24, of the 2600 block Quantico Avenue.

During the argument, the assailant pulled out a gun and the boy began to run, but the victim could only get 10 feet before being shot, said police.

Mr. Gregory allegedly fled the scene in a red Jeep, police said.

The slaying did not surprise residents, who say gunfire in the Northwest Baltimore neighborhood is common.

"I'm not shocked, not around here," said Stacey C. Watson, 21, of the 2600 block Quantico Avenue.

Earlier Saturday, an anonymous caller at 7:19 a.m. told city police of a body lying on a grassy area in the 2400 block of Homewood Avenue near the Barclay neighborhood of North Baltimore.

But even before the tip, patrol officers had discovered the body of a 29-year-old man who had been shot in the face. Police last night were withholding the victim's name pending notification of relatives; Detective D. Martin Disney said the man was a Northwest Baltimore resident with an extensive criminal history.

There are no witnesses or suspects in the case, the detective added.

In Prince George's County, two shooting victims lay dead or dying for 2 1/2 hours yesterday morning before neighbors called police.

The two men had just arrived at an apartment in the 3600 block of Parkway Terrace Drive when gunfire erupted about 4:30 a.m, and both men were shot several times in the head.

But residents of the apartment building did not find the bodies and report the shootings until about 7 a.m.

Pronounced dead at the scene were Craig Raymond Stirdivant, 20, of the 2900 block St. Clair Drive, Marlow Heights, and Leon Marcell Broadus, 21, of the 300 block 37th Street, Southeast Washington.

Police learned that residents heard gunshots but did not call authorities immediately, according to county police spokesman Cpl. Mark Polk.

"It's very unusual for people not to call, but then again they might have been afraid for their own personal safety," Corporal Polk said.

On Saturday in Prince George's County, a police officer found another bullet-riddled body lying on a street in Seat Pleasant.

Stanley Eugene Wilson, 20, of Washington, was found on the 6400 block of Greig Street in Seat Pleasant near the District line.

Also on Saturday night, a 21-year-old woman was stabbed to death in her Temple Hills home in what Prince George's police described as a domestic incident.

Monica Ervett Bolding, 21, was arguing with a male acquaintance at 11:30 p.m. when she stabbed him in the back with a kitchen knife. The 40-year-old Temple Hills man, whose name was withheld by police, responded by fatally stabbing the woman in the chest with another kitchen knife.

The man was not immediately charged with murder or manslaughter, but police said they will refer the case to the state's attorney's office, which will likely allow a grand jury to decide whether to pursue criminal charges.

Also in Baltimore, two men survived gunshot wounds early yesterday as they sat in a friend's living room, city police said.

The men were wounded when bullets penetrated the walls of the house in the 2500 block of Salem Street.

Martin Ferguson, 23, of the 1500 block Richland Avenue in Baltimore, was shot in the back, and Mark Smith, 24, who was visiting from the Bronx, N.Y., was shot in the hand.

Both men were taken to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where they were listed in stable condition.

Police found spent shells from five rounds following the 2:20 a.m. incident, but no one reported seeing the assailants on the street.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.