Glazers update Schaefer on bid for Baltimore team

October 19, 1991

Florida businessman Malcolm Glazer visited Maryland Gov. William Donald Schaefer yesterday in Annapolis to bring him up to date on his efforts to buy an NFL franchise for Baltimore.

"We wanted to thank him for what the state has done," Glazer said after he and his sons, Bryan and Joel, met with Schaefer. It was the first time Schaefer had met with the Glazer family.

Glazer, sole owner of First Allied Corp., and two groups of potential owners paid a $100,000 application fee to bring a team to Baltimore. The franchise is expected to cost at least $150 million.

"We think we fulfill everything the NFL wants for a franchise owner," Glazer said after his meeting with Schaefer.

He said he and his sons would be sole owners and that he has the money to put up $150 million in cash and buy the team.

Joel Glazer said of the meeting: "It went very well. It was very productive. It was a nice get-acquainted session. We updated the governor on our progress so far. He was very receptive. It was a very good meeting. The governor has the same interest we all do -- getting a team for Baltimore."

* Former Baltimore Colts great Art Donovan remained hospitalized in stable condition at St. Joseph last night after being admitted Thursday night after what was called a "passing-out incident" by a nursing supervisor.

* REDSKINS: Earnest Byner practiced yesterday with his right hand taped, as the Washington Redskins interrupted their open-date week with a day of practice.

Byner, who came out of Sunday's game with a bruised hand, is expected to play a week from tomorrow against the New York Giants, but trainer Bubba Tyer said he's not sure whether the hand will be taped for the game. Byner has a better feel for the ball when it isn't taped, but it hurts more.

The Redskins will be off for the weekend before resuming practice Monday.

Coach Joe Gibbs promised the players seven days off if they started 7-0, but he included tomorrow and Tuesday in his version of the "week."

After practice, Gibbs left for the West Coast, where he'll watch his son, Coy, play today for Stanford against Southern Cal.

* COLTS: Linebacker Chip Banks was mistakenly arrested on an old warrant out of Georgia and spent about eight hours in custody in Indianapolis before being released.

Banks, 32, a ninth-year NFL linebacker whose career has been marked by four drug-related arrests and an 18-month league suspension, was arrested about 2:20 a.m. when the vehicle he was a passenger in was stopped for a traffic violation, police said.

Computer checks on each of the vehicle's occupants indicated there was an outstanding warrant for Banks' arrest from Fulton County, Ga. The warrant for possession of a controlled substance was dated Jan. 19, 1990.

However, Banks' attorney, Duge Butler, and correction authorities in Atlanta had determined by midmorning that the arrest was a mistake. The case had been resolved in February 1990, but the warrant was never officially canceled, they said.

* STEELERS: Terry Long, who had started the past three games at left guard, underwent surgery yesterday for repairs to a torn right triceps.

Long was injured Monday in the Steelers' loss to the Giants. He was placed on injured reserve yesterday and will be eligible to return Nov. 11.

Taking Long's place on the active roster was guard-center Dean Caliguire, a Pitsburgh native who joined the team's practice squad Oct. 4.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.