Atholton Rallies To Tie Howard With :30 Left

After Double Ot Soccer Score Remains 4-4

October 16, 1991|By Rick Belz | Rick Belz,Staff writer

Atholton's boys soccer team rallied from a 4-2 deficit in the secondhalf to gain a 4-4 tie with fifth-ranked Howard yesterday at Atholton.

The 12th-ranked Raiders tied it on a spectacular shot by David Kelley with 30 seconds left in regulation time. Kelley gathered a rebound off a direct kick from midfield by Alex Denno and dribbled around three Atholton defenders toward the sideline.

As soon as he was free, Kelley banged a left-footed shot from 15 yards out into the far-right corner of the goal. Pandemonium broke out on Atholton's bench.

Howard then held off a furious offensive attack by Atholton in two 10-minute overtimes to save the tie.

Howard was forced to play the entire second overtime with just 10 men after starting goalie James Morrow was ejected for shoving an official tothe ground.

Second-string goalie Jason Sheflin was outstanding but received game-saving kick-saves from Keith Nelka, Randy Ziobro and John Condon.

Condon's game-saver was in the final minute of the second overtime. Atholton's star forward Tony Dedmond, who scored twicefor the Raiders, drilled it off Condon's chest from 6 yards.

Atholton led, 2-0, in the first half and appeared ready to blow Howard off the field as the Raiders totally dominated.

Jeff May scored in the fourth minute off a head pass from Dedmond. May's kick slid under the hands of Morrow.

Dedmond made it 2-0 as he beat two defenders down the left side and boomed a left-footer inside the far post.

Howard coach Rudy Storch then switched freshman star Mike Bagrosky, who scored two goals, from defense to forward. The move paid off.

Condon got Howard's first goal in the 27th minute on a bouncing loose ball that he kicked over oncoming Atholton goalie Josh Seidman.

Then it was Jason Yancey scoring off a penalty kick for Howard in the 30th minute to make it 2-2.

Bagrosky also scored Howard's third goalas he cut across the middle and took a pass from freshman Chris Dodson.

Howard made it 4-2 in the second half when Bagrosky swept downthe right side and his kick hit the far post and bounced in.

Dedmond scored in the 25th minute as he kicked a bouncer over a charging Howard goalie.

Then it came down to Kelley's final magnificent shot with 30 seconds left.

"Even a tie is a mild upset for us," Storch said. "Maybe I should have played Bagrosky up top the entire game."

Howard's record dropped to 5-2-2 overall and 1-1-2 in the league.Atholton dropped to 5-3-1 and 3-0-1 in the league. The tie left the Raiders knotted with Centennial for first place.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.