Marquette Sentenced To 3 Years' Probation

October 16, 1991|By Maria Archangelo | Maria Archangelo,Staff writer

WESTMINSTER — A 25-year-old Washington man was sentenced to three years of supervised probation yesterday following his conviction on charges that he assaulted a woman at a city motel.

Circuit Judge Raymond E. Beck Sr. handed down the sentence after finding Christopher A. Marquette guilty of assault and battery in a January attack on a county woman at Lee's Motel on Route 140.

Marquette entered an Alford plea to the assault and battery charge in exchange for having other charges against him dropped. In a Alford plea, a defendant does not admit guilt but acknowledges that the state has enough evidence to convict him.

According to a statement of facts read in court by Deputy State's Attorney Edward M. Ulsch, Marquette met the woman at Champs Restaurant in Westminster on Jan. 21.

The woman's name is being withheld because of the nature of the charges.

Ulsch said Marquette left the bar with the woman and went to Donut World, where they had coffee and doughnuts and talked.

Marquette then suggested they go back to his room at Lee's Motel and spend the night together, according to the statement of facts.

A clerk at the motel said Marquette checked in around 1:30 a.m. and told her that he lived in Washington and had had too much to drink to drivehome, Ulsch said.

Ulsch said that while the two consented to havesex, the situation turned violent.

"She said he began calling hera whore and a prostitute and told her he was going to beat her up."

Marquette slapped her and beat her, trying to sodomize her, Ulsch said.

When Marquette went into the bathroom, the woman ran from the motel room, Ulsch said.

Ulsch said the woman ran to nearby DonutWorld and asked employees there to call the police.

When questioned by police, Marquette said the woman agreed to his sexual requests,according to the statement.

After the statement was read, Marquette's attorney, Steven Bienstock of Rockville, reiterated that his client entered the Alford plea only to the assault charge and was not pleading to any of the other charges in the statement.

Beck then convicted Marquette on the assault charge and dropped the remaining sex charges.

Ulsch told Beck the woman had been informed of the plea agreement and was satisfied with the outcome.

Beck also convicted Marquette of violating his probation in a previous theft case by breaking the law in the assault case.

The judge sentenced Marquette to 18 months in prison but suspended that sentence in favor of the probation.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.