Don't throw away hardened brown sugar. Use these tips to save it.
* Put a wedge of apple into the box or bag of sugar and reclose it, then microwave on high power for 20 seconds per cup of sugar; let it stand for five minutes; repeat if necessary.
* Put it, in its bag (but not box), in a 350-degree oven. By the time the bag is warm, the sugar should be softened or delumped.
* Push it through a sieve.
* Roll it out with a rolling pin.
* Steam it in the top of a double boiler.
* Put it through a food processor, blender or meat grinder.