B. Herbert Brown, former chairman of the University of Maryland Board of Regents, died Friday at Mercy Medical Center of a lung infection. He was 84 and lived in the Ruxton Towers Apartments in Towson.
Services for Dr. Brown will be held at 10 a.m. tomorrow at the Ruck Towson funeral establishment, 1050 York Road.
He served on the Board of Regents from 1951 until 1979, the last four years as its chairman. He was named chairman emeritus at the end of his last term.
He chaired the board's athletic committee in the mid-1950s, when it developed the University of Maryland Golf Course at College Park.
From 1941 until 1971, he was president of the Baltimore Institute, a school he founded to prepare students for business careers and college and to offer adult education. From 1951 until 1969, he was associated with the Speedwriting Publishing Co. in New York City.
Before starting his own school, he resigned as vice president and athletic director of the University of Baltimore.
He had been on the school's staff since 1927.
The Baltimore native was a 1926 graduate of Forest Park High School, where he headed the student council. He graduated from the University of Baltimore with law and business degrees.
Honorary doctorates were awarded to him by the University of Maryland Eastern Shore, Lincoln College in Illinois and Steed College in Johnson City, Tenn., where he also served on the board from 1956 until 1980.
He was honored in citations from the House of Delegates, the University of Maryland M Club, the University of Baltimore and the Army Air Forces for his work in a World War II recruiting program.
Dr. Brown was a former member of the M Club and the Terrapin Club.
Since 1971, he had been a business and educational consultant and a partner in Brown-Davis and Associates. He also wrote a book on the operation of boards and taught a course on the subject at the College of Notre Dame.
He was a member of the Concordia Lodge of the Masons, the Baltimore Country Club and the Atlantic City Country Club, and a former member of the Baltimore Rotary Club and the Green Spring Inn Club.
His first wife, the former Ann Oldham, died in 1975.
He is survived by his wife, the former Marion O. Davis; a daughter, Joyce B. Kirkley of Scotland in St. Mary's County; a brother, J. West Brown of Fort Pierce, Fla.; and two grandchildren.
The family suggested memorial contributions to the Lexington Park United Methodist Church in St. Mary's County or to the Mercy Medical Center Development Fund in honor of Sister Mary Thomas Zinkand, R.S.M., the hospital president.