Carolyn LongSinger, teacherGraveside services for Carolyn...


October 15, 1991

Carolyn Long

Singer, teacher

Graveside services for Carolyn Long, a lyric soprano who sang in concerts, operettas and operas here and abroad during the late 1940s and early 1950s, then taught voice in Washington until she retired about 10 years ago, will be held at 1 p.m. today at the Dorchester Memorial Park in Cambridge.

Miss Long, who was 76, died Oct. 3 at Mallard Bay Nursing Home in Cambridge of complications after surgery. She moved from Bethesda to Cambridge about five years ago.

The former Carolyn Creighton was a native of Cambridge and a graduate of the Cambridge High School and the Peabody Conservatory, where she was awarded scholarships and cited as the best voice student at her graduation.

She sang in operettas and with the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra before moving to St. Louis.

After marrying Hugh-Blair Long of Virginia, she sang as Miss Carolyn Long and continued using the name both professionally and privately after her marriage ended in divorce.

Moving to St. Louis, she sang at military posts during World War II and appeared at Carnegie Hall with the U.S. Army Band.

After the war, she sang with the St. Louis grand opera company, then signed up with Columbia Artists Management.

In addition to appearing on the radio program "Harvest of Stars," she toured with the Strauss Festival, sang in musicals in Vancouver, British Columbia, appeared in a series of pop concerts in New Orleans with Mario Lanza, appeared with the Chicago Opera Guild and sang in 31 performances of 11 operas in Cincinnati with Ezio Pinza. She sang at a dinner given by Vice President Alben Barkley for President Harry S. Truman, and, in 1952 and 1953, toured with the Gershwin Festival.

In addition to the Baltimore Symphony, she sang with the Philadelphia Orchestra, the National Symphony and others.

In 1954, she went to Italy to study and appeared in eight operas there. Poor health forced her to stop touring. She settled in the Washington area, where she taught voice privately and at American University until her retirement.

On visits to Cambridge over the years, she sang with church choirs and in benefits.

Her survivors include several cousins. The family suggested memorial contributions to the Peabody Conservatory of Music.

Cmdr. Roy Reynolds

Retired naval officer

A memorial service for retired Navy Cmdr. Roy S. Reynolds, a former resident of Upper Marlboro, will be held at 10 a.m. tomorrow in the chapel of the Navy Yard in Washington.

Commander Reynolds, who was 61 and had lived in Arlington, Va., since 1988, died Thursday of heart ailments in a hospital there.

He retired from the Navy Yard in 1977 after serving in the Navy since 1951.

Born in New York, he was a 1951 graduate of Dartmouth College, where he was in the Naval Reserve Officers' Training Corps.

His duty included command of the Floyd County, a landing ship tank in the Pacific, and of the Albert David, a destroyer escort.

He also served at shore stations in the United States and at NATO headquarters in Brussels, Belgium.

He served on a destroyer in the Korean War and went to Vietnam twice, first as a staff member of the Military Assistance Command and then as a destroyer escort captain.

His decorations included the Bronze Star, two Joint Service Commendation Medals and the Navy Commendation Medal.

He lived in St. Louis for a time after retiring and did volunteer work at the Scott Air Force Base Medical Center and in the juvenile court system.

His marriage to the former June Elder ended in divorce.

He is survived by three sons, Navy Lt. Stephen Virginius Reynolds of Virginia Beach, Va., Garth Hobart Reynolds of Delta, Pa., and Roy David Reynolds of Mechanicsville in St. Mary's County; his mother, Erminie Reynolds of Arlington; and a brother, retired Army Lt. Col. Roger Deck Reynolds of Abingdon, Va.

B. C. Compton Sr.

Retired physician

A memorial service for Dr. Beverley C. Compton Sr., a retired physician, will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday at St. Thomas Episcopal Church, St. Thomas Lane and Garrison Forest Road, Owings Mills.

Dr. Compton, who was 88, died Friday at his home in Broadmead, after a series of strokes.

Born in 1903, he graduated from the Gilman School in 1923 and earned a bachelor's degree in English from Princeton University in 1927. In 1931, he graduated from the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.

In 1935, he married Cynthia C. Wilson of Chicago. He practiced medicine in Baltimore until his retirement in 1954.

After retiring, he enjoyed world travel, hunting, fishing, horticulture and spent most summers at his Quebec Lake home in Quebec, Canada.

In 1978, his first wife died in an auto accident.

He married Moss Love Wagner and after several years moved from Ruxton, where he had lived 47 years, to Broadmead in Cockeysville.

He was a member of the Elkridge Club, a subscriber to the Bachelors Cotillon and a longtime member of the Maryland Club.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.