No. 4 C.M. Wright wins, 39-22, over No. 14 Edgewood

October 12, 1991|By Katherine Dunn

No. 4 C. Milton Wright spoiled No. 14 Edgewood's homecoming with a 39-22 victory in a key Harford County league matchup last night at Edgewood.

The victory preserved the Mustangs' undefeated record, and they remain in first place in Harford County. The Mustangs (6-0 overall, 5-0 league) earned their second consecutive victory over Edgewood, which had never lost a game to C. Milton Wright until last year.

The game was close until the fourth quarter when Dan Gartrell broke two tackles and scored on a 32-yard touchdown run. With Mike Weichert's point-after-touchdown kick, the Mustangs took a 33-22 lead.

On the next Mustangs possession, the Rams' frustration resulted in three unsportsmanlike conduct penalties that helped C. Milton Wright move from Edgewood's 47-yard line to the end zone in seven plays. Zi Shum capped the drive with a 3-yard touchdown run.

The PAT kick failed, but the Mustangs, who had averaged 42.2 points coming into the game, had a 39-22 lead.

Chris Gill led the Mustangs with 122 yards on 19 carries. Weichert picked up 70 yards on six receptions.

Chris Gibbons had 150 all-purpose yards including 96 on a kickoff return to start a high-scoring third quarter. Gibbons's return gave the Rams a 14-13 lead.

But the Mustangs marched right back for 10-play, 68-yard drive. Greg Cooper took the ball in on a 3-yard run.

Edgewood didn't waste time taking the lead back. Jamaine Brice returned the kickoff 67 yards to the Mustangs' 23-yard line. Five plays later, Lawrence Worthington scored on a 9-yard run. Keith Kimmel's 2-point conversion pass to Greg Watchinsky gave the Rams their last lead of the game, 22-19.

Gibbons intercepted a Jeff Hawk pass on the Mustangs' next series, but Brad Fordyce intercepted right back and returned the ball 60 yards for the score. Weichert's PAT put the Mustangs ahead, 26-22.

In the first half, Edgewood (4-2, 3-2) struck first when quarterback Kimmel completed a 37-yard pass to Gibbons. That capped a two-play 80-yard drive on the Rams' first and only possession of the quarter.

On the first play, Corey Anderson ran for 43 yards before being caught by Fordyce. The conversion pass attempt failed.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.