Around the house
* Dust and vacuum closet floor and shelves before hanging up winter clothes. Remove seldom-worn shoes from floor and store in boxes on shelves. It's a good time to remove marks from floors and walls with soap and water.
* For extra storage space in a child's room, use gym lockers painted to match the room. Baseball bats, skateboards and toys can be stored inside lockers, out of sight.
* Scour tree sap from windows with a damp paper towel that has been dipped in baking soda. It is less abrasive than scouring powder. Windows will sparkle when wiped dry with a soft cloth.
* Spray freshly polished brass accessories with extra-hold hair spray. This will prolong shine and can be washed off easily with soap and water when items need repolishing.
* When working with patterns, use regular scissors to cut out front pieces and pinking shears to cut out backs. Both parts will be easier to distinguish.
* Save space in a small bathroom. Place hamper in a walk-in closet.
In the garden
* Mark bulb plantings with plant labels. This will prevent accidental digging into bulbs while they are dormant. Place chicken wire over the bed to keep squirrels from digging up bulbs.