Without Top Scorer, St. Mary's Lets Games Slip Away

Coach Can Acceptloss To Calvert Hall, But Not One To Loyola

October 10, 1991|By Roch Eric Kubatko | Roch Eric Kubatko,Staff writer

Rarely will St. Mary's soccer coach Brent Boone be satisfied with a two-goal loss, as he was last week when his Saints bowed to powerful Calvert Hall, 2-0.

"We were the first MSA team they didn't score at least four goals against," he said.

Yesterday's Maryland Scholastic Association A Conference DivisionII game at Loyola, also played without leading scorer Todd Lord, wasn't as easy for Boone to accept.

The Dons' Mike Aman, a senior forward, scored off a pass from Jeff Gredlein just four minutes into thesecond half to break a 1-1 tie and hand St. Mary's a 3-1 defeat.

"We can beat this team. There's no doubt in my mind," Boone said. "Atleast we'll get another chance at them." The two

teams meet againNov. 1.

St. Mary's is 0-2 without Lord, who is sidelined with an ankle injury, and 5-4 overall (4-2 in the league). Loyola is 3-5-1 overall and 3-3 in the league.

Lord will have the cast removed from his left ankle Monday.

"He's just a natural goal-scorer," Boone said. "He's always in the right place at the right time. He gives the team a lift."

Controlling the ball for most of the first half, the Dons took a 1-0 lead on a Jordan Davis goal at 24 minutes, 20 seconds.

Davis gathered a loose ball after St. Mary's Rob Tobin knocked down Jeff Gredlein's direct kick and booted it into the upper left-hand corner of the net.

The Saints retaliated with nine minutes remaining on their best offensive display of the half.

St. Mary's Paul Devine drilled a shot that Loyola keeper Brian Zeller slowed with a dive to his left. Rich Mackey, trailing the play, followed with a shotwide right.

But Mackey capitalized on his next opportunity, converting a pass from Brooks Liswell after teammate Eamon McCormick's shot struck the top post and bounced back into play.

The visitors survived three yellow cards on one play and a couple of Loyola shots with keeper J. D. Gattie out of the net to remain tied at halftime.

"It's definitely better to go in tied at the half, especially when theother team scored first," Boone said.

Loyola played the last 17 minutes without fourth-year coach Jim Claborn, who was issued a red card and missed seeing his 30th career win. The Dons' Luke Golueke alsoreceived a red card.

The Saints were issued three more yellow cards in the second half, giving them six for the game.

Boone was irate at the officiating, not his players. "The refereeing was so bad, what can you do?" he asked. "They embarrassed my team. All I wanted was some consistency."

Gredlein closed the scoring at 28:05, scoringon an indirect kick from Jon Cusson.

Loyola outshot St. Mary's, 22-10, but Boone said, "It was a pretty even game.

"It's tough playing away in the MSA. And we just didn't play that well."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.