Volleyball, football and the Monocacy Valley Athletic League's crosscountry meet share the spotlight this week in Carroll sports.
In volleyball, a pair of key intra-county matchups tomorrow will help determine the county race.
North Carroll and Liberty entered the week with 2-0 county marks,though one will have lost after the two met last night.
The Panthers (6-1 overall before last night's match with Liberty) will travel to Westminster to take on the Owls -- who were still looking for their first county win at the start of the week (0-1, 2-3).
Liberty also began the week with a 2-0 county mark and 4-2 overall. They will visit South Carroll (0-2, 1-4). Earlier in the season, the Lions handled South Carroll, 3-0.
Both matches start about 7 p.m. after 5:30 JV contests.
In other sports this week:
* The Francis Scott Keyboys cross country team travels to Boonsboro, Washington County, Saturday morning with hopes of a MVAL title.
Jim Clarius, Mitch Jonesand Jon Hjembo will pace Key, with the biggest challenger probably Middletown of Frederick County.
In their last meeting, Middletown nipped the Eagles, 27-29.
"It will come down to us and Middletown. We've both beaten North Hagerstown, which is the next-best team in the league," Key coach Jim Bullock said.
"It will just come down to which team has the better day and runs a smarter race. I'm hoping last week's loss to them (Middletown) will have a positive effect on us."
Middletown also is the favorite in the girls race. The Key girlsshould be somewhere in the middle of the 10-team field.
SophomoreShannon Hugg has come on strong for the Eagles and should be among the top 10 individual runners.
* South Carroll took control of the county football race with a 31-11 win over North Carroll last Friday and could do the same in the Central Maryland Conference race this Friday at Linganore, Frederick County.
Both teams come into the contest with 2-0 CMC records after Linganore manhandled Liberty, 31-6, last week.
The Cavaliers (2-0 in the county, 4-1 overall) are led byquarterback Joe Goodwin, who threw for two touchdowns and ran for one in the victory over North Carroll.
They also have the county's top rusher in Ronnie Robinson, who rushed for 97 yards last Friday andimproved his season total to 594 yards.
The Lancers also are coming off a big win, taking a 24-0 lead into halftime against Liberty and coasting the rest of the way en route to a 31-6 win.
They, too, have a talented running back in John Seymour who rushed for 100 yardsand scored one touchdown Friday.
Any discussion of area running backs must include Western Maryland College senior standout Eric Frees, who became the state's all-time leader in rushing yardage in the Green Terrors' 34-6 thrashing of Muhlenberg.
Frees rushed for 120 yards on 22 carries to up his career total to 4,248 yards, surpassing former Navy great Napoleon McCallum -- who had 4,179 yards from 1981-1985.
The Terrors improved to 3-1 on the season and took over sole possession of first place in the Centennial Football Conference with a 3-0 record.
The Terrors will entertain Randolph-Macon in a non-conference matchup at 1:30 p.m. Saturday.
* The Mason-Dixon Soccer League is at the midway point of its season with the North Carroll Arrows at the .500 mark, the Westminster Wolves struggling for a playoff spot and the Mount Airy team folding.
Mount Airy disbanded afterstruggling to field a complete team much of the season.
North Carroll (3-3) was scheduled to host Mount Airy on Sunday but will get the week off, leaving Westminster as the only Carroll team in action this weekend.
The Wolves (2-5) find themselves in ninth place and will take on defending champ Middletown (4-2). The top eight teams qualify for postseason play.
(All time p.m. unless indicated)
* Field hockey: North Carroll at Westminster, JV at 5:30, varsity at 7
* Junior varsity football: Francis Scott Key at North Hagerstown, 4:30; Frederick at Liberty, 7; North Carroll at Thomas Johnson, 7
* Freshman football: Frederick at Liberty,5:30; North Carroll at Thomas Johnson, 5:30; Westminster at Mount St. Joseph, 3:30
* Men's soccer: Western Maryland at Washington College, 3:30
* Girls soccer: Liberty at South Carroll, JV at 5:30, Varsity at 7
* Volleyball: Elizabethtown at Western Maryland, 7
* Field hockey: Francis Scott Key at Poolesville, varsity at 3:15; Frederick at Liberty, varsity at 4; South Carroll at Linganore, varsity at 4; Johns Hopkins at Western Maryland, 4
* Junior varsity football: South Carroll at Linganore, 7; Laurel at Westminster,6
* Freshman football: South Carroll at Linganore, 5:30
* Boyssoccer: Smithsburg at Francis Scott Key, JV at 5:30, varsity at 7; Frederick at North Carroll, 5:30 and 7; Damascus at South Carroll, 5:30 and 7
* Girls soccer: Walkersville at Francis Scott Key, varsityat 4; North Carroll at Frederick, JV at 5:30, varsity at 7; Westminster at Centennial, varsity at 3:30; Elizabethtown at Western Maryland, 3:30