BASEBALL American League * Orioles -- Signed John Oates (manager) to a two-year contract. Announced that Al Jackson (pitching coach) will not be retained and Curt Motton (first base coach) will be offered another position in the organization.
* Boston Red Sox -- Reinstated Danny Darwin, Jeff Gray and Darryl Irvine (pitchers) from the 15-day disabled list and Mike Miller (pitcher) and Tim Naehring (shortstop) from the 60-day disabled list. Waived Miller and Dave Owen (pitcher) for the purpose of an outright assignment to Pawtucket of the International League.
* Chicago White Sox -- Announced that Don Wakamatsu (catcher) and Rodney McCray (outfielder) are free agents after refusing assignment to Vancouver of the Pacific Coast League.
* Kansas City Royals -- Announced that Bob Schaefer (dugout coach) and Tom Burgmeier (batting practice coach) have not been retained for next year. Retained Adrian Garrett (third base coach), Lynn Jones (first base coach), Glenn Ezell (bullpen coach) and Guy Hansen (pitching coach).
* Minnesota Twins -- Signed Andy MacPhail (executive vice president and vice president of player personnel) to a three-year contract.
* New York Yankees -- Fired Stump Merrill, manager.
National League * Florida Marlins -- Named John Young scout and Dan Lunetta director of minor league administration.
* San Francisco Giants -- Waived Tom Herr (second baseman) and Mike Kingery (outfielder). Bought out the contract of Don Robinson (pitcher).
BASKETBALL (NBA) * Atlanta Hawks -- Re-signed Gary Leonard (center) to a one-year contract.
* Milwaukee Bucks -- Signed Fred Roberts (forward) and Bobby Phills (guard).
FOOTBALL (NFL) * San Francisco 49ers -- Signed Joe Prokop (punter). Waived Ralf Mojsiejenko (punter).
HOCKEY (NHL) * San Jose Sharks -- Recalled David Bruce, Ed Courtenay and Mikhail Kravets (forwards) from Kansas City of the International Hockey League.