Calvert Hall holds off Gilman, 10-6

October 06, 1991|By Bob Clark

No. 3 Calvert Hall used its defense to set up a first-quarter touchdown, then held off a second-half surge by No. 13 Gilman to capture a 10-6 Maryland Scholastic Association A Conference victory in Towson yesterday.

Evan Leos' point-after kick in the first quarter and his 23-yard field goal in the second quarter proved to be the deciding points, as Calvert Hall (4-0 overall and 2-0 in the conference) moved into a three-way tie for first place in the A Conference with Loyola and City by handing defending co-champion Gilman (3-1, 3-1) its first loss of the season and its first loss to the Cardinals since 1984.

"When you beat a good, well-coached ball club like Gilman it makes the win twice as good," said Calvert Hall coach Bill Mackley.

The way that Mackley's team went about winning was not exactly as he had planned. "I didn't know if we could run the ball against them," he said. "Their defense is so aggressive."

But with senior quarterback Luther Alexander struggling through 4-for-15 passing day, Calvert Hall used the running of senior Will Harcum, who gained 100 yards on 22 carries, to lead the offense and offset the ground damage done by Gilman fullback Victor Carter-Bey, who rushed for 160 yards on 21 carries.

Harcum scored the only Cardinal touchdown after a Gilman fumble was recovered by Loyd Shiflett at the Greyhound 15-yard line midway in the first quarter. Harcum raced to the 1-yard line on the first play after the fumble and then scored behind the left side of the Cardinal line to put the home team ahead to stay.

Leos climaxed an 18-play, 70-yard march in the second quarter with his field goal, increasing the Cardinal lead to 10-0 after the drive had stalled at the Gilman 5.

Gilman, which lost two fumbles and had a pass intercepted in the first half, moved deep into Calvert Hall territory on a 52-yard run by Carter-Bey on the third play of the second half. But the Greyhounds squandered the opportunity when the drive stalled at the Cardinals' 15 after a holding penalty.

"We had too many mistakes early in the game," said Gilman coach Sherm Bristow. "Penalties, fumbles, whatever it took to stall a drive, we managed to do it."

On their next possession, the Greyhounds drove 61 yards in 14 plays for a touchdown. Carter-Bey, who gained 113 yards in the second half, powered his way 5 yards to the end zone for Gilman's only points with under 10 minutes to play in the fourth quarter.

Then Harcum and fullback Ivan Dow sparked a crucial time-consuming possession by the Cardinals, who moved as deep as the Gilman 23 before a holding penalty thwarted the drive.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.