Maurice Blocker now is even with the Browns of boxing.
Having lost the World Boxing Council welterweight title when he was stopped by Simon Brown, Blocker (33-2, 18 knockouts) became the International Boxing Federation 147-pound champion last night by outpointing Glenwood Brown in Atlantic City, N.J.
Blocker, 6 feet 1, speared Brown, 5-7, with left jabs and rattled him with counterpunches as he lunged forward.
The decision was split. Judge Rocky Castellani scored it 115-114 for Brown. Judge Lynn Carter scored it 117-111, and judge John Stewart called it 118-111, both for Blocker, who is from Germantown, Md.
The AP card favored Blocker, 117-111.
"He was smart," Brown, 24, said. "He kept moving. He did what he had to do to win."
A crowd of about 1,200 in a ballroom at Merv Griffin's Resorts Casino Hotel saw a fast-paced fight, as Brown lost for only the second time in 36 fights and had a 16-bout winning streak broken.
The 28-year-old Blocker's victory came in his first fight since he was stopped in the 10th round by his close friend, Simon Brown, last March 18. Brown also defended the IBF title that night, then relinquished it, according to his promoter, Don King, because of IBF recognition of South African fighters.
Simon Brown was at ringside last night but not just to root on his friend. He also watched James "Buddy" McGirt, who he will defend the WBC title against Nov. 29 at Las Vegas. McGirt, weighing 150 pounds, 3 pounds over the welterweight limit, stopped Alfredo Ramirez, 154, of Mexico, after five rounds. McGirt, of Brentwood, N.Y., boosted his record to 54-2-1 with 43 knockouts.
* The lawyer representing Mike Tyson's accuser wants a gag order lifted so she may respond to remarks made by the former heavyweight boxing champion and his supporters.
Tyson was indicted last month by a grand jury on charges of rape, criminal deviate conduct and confinement in the alleged attack of a Miss Black America contestant in Indianapolis in July.
In a news conference after the indictment, Tyson and promoter Don King made several charges about the alleged victim, mentioning her by name numerous times.
Later, at the request of Tyson's lawyers, Superior Court judge Patricia J. Gifford issued a gag order barring Tyson, his lawyers, prosecutors and lawyers representing the woman from making public statements in the case.
* Doctors in London expressed "considerable worry" yesterday about the lack of progress being made by fighter Michael Watson, still attached to a life-support machine nearly two weeks after collapsing in the ring.
The British boxer, who has undergone two brain operations since being knocked out by Chris Eubank in a World Boxing Organization super-middleweight title fight on Sept. 21, appeared to be improving in recent days.
A brain scan Thursday showed the swelling of Watson's brain had subsided and the pressure was remaining normal without the intensive drug treatment he previously needed.
But Tim Jones, spokesman at St. Bartholomew's Hospital, said Watson's progress had faltered.
* Jorge Paez appears unconcerned by the lopsided odds favoring Pernell Whitaker (26-1) in his defense of the world lightweight title tonight in Reno, Nev.
"I know it's going to be a tough fight," he said. "I've fought quite a few guys like Whitaker. I'm not going to lose my head."
Paez (39-3-4) is trying to become a champion again, one year after giving up the IBF featherweight title in an unsuccessful bid for Tony Lopez's IBF junior-lightweight crown.