BSO reaches fund drive goal

October 03, 1991|By Ernest F. Imhoff | Ernest F. Imhoff,Evening Sun Staff

The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra raised $2,518,000 in its annual fund drive this year, making its goal for the seventh straight year and achieving a 17 percent increase over last year's final figure of $2,150,000.

The drive's success required a bit of drama at the end. In July, a $50,000 challenge grant from Joseph and Rebecca Meyerhoff was offered when the BSO projected a $200,000 shortfall from its goal of $2,500,000.

Since July, 813 people answered the challenge with $203,275. John Gidwitz, executive director, praised the "heroic efforts" of "hundreds of Baltimoreans who reaffirmed their support for a symphony orchestra of the highest international standards."

Yet, "we face even greater financial challenges" in the next year starting Sept. 1, Gidwitz said, "particularly with yesterday's news of further cuts in state funding." The new goal is $3 million.

The amount raised in 1990-91 was 17 percent of the total BSO budget of $15 million. Record attendance at the summer concerts and $500,000 in expense reductions also helped meet the budget.

BSO President Decatur H. Miller said the concluded fund drive, led by Carl J. Sardegna, was "a resounding endorsement from Maryland citizens for their orchestra."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.