The high school football season is four weeks old and things are beginning to take shape in the county, with not-so-surprising starts forsome and startling developments for others.
First, the surprises:
The biggest came from Hampstead Friday, when North Carroll edged Westminster, 19-18.
Westminster is off to an 0-4 start and alreadyhas lost more games this year than all of last year, when the Owls went 7-3 and tied for the Central Maryland Conference title.
The team faces a must-win home game against CMC co-champ Thomas Johnson Friday if they have any plans of repeating as CMC champs.
North Carroll has already doubled its win output of a year ago when it finished 1-9 after the big home win against the Owls. The Panthers will get aneven bigger test Friday when they travel to South Carroll (3-1).
Holding true to form:
Francis Scott Key is continuing to struggle,going 0-4 after losing to Catoctin, 29-20, Friday night at home. They remain at home this Friday against Boonsboro.
South Carroll, riding a three-game winning streak after beating Liberty, 21-7, Friday, again appears to have the most talented team in the county and could be ready to take control of the county and Central Maryland Conference races.
Cavs running back Ronnie Robinson continues to rack up the yardage on the ground (128 yards in last Friday's win against Liberty) and leads the county in rushing (487 yards) and scoring (seven touchdowns).
Liberty had an opportunity to be among the elite after a 2-0 start, but the home loss to South Carroll Friday puts them backto
mediocrity at 2-2.
They will try to bounce back at Linganore Friday night.
In other events this week:
* Western Maryland College running back Eric Frees needs only 51 yards to surpass former Navy standout Napoleon McCallum as the all-time state career rushing leader.
He will get his chance Saturday, when the Green Terrors travel to Muhlenberg (0-3 overall, 0-2 in the conference).
Frees carried the ball 27 times for 143 yards Saturday and has 4,128 career yards.
The Green Terrors improved to 2-0 in the Centennial Football Conference with a 27-3 win against Ursinus Saturday.
Frees also moved into ninth place on the all-time NCAA Division III rushing list and is only 121 yards away from fifth place.
Sophomore quarterback Paul McCord, who transferred to WMC from the University of Delaware at the start of preseason camp, also had some impressive numbers of his own.
The 6-foot-5, 215-pound QB completed 11 of 20 passes for 154 yards and three touchdowns.
* The key matchup in high school field hockey this week has Liberty playing host to South Carroll on Thursday.
Both teams came into the week undefeated, and a win by either will give them the early upper hand in the county and CMC races.
Liberty has a trio of attackers among league leaders in scoring in Tracey Bantel, Shelly Reichel and Carly Carter, while South Carroll isled by Audrey Van Norman.
* The WMC volleyball team will travel to Huntington, Pa., this weekend to compete in the Juniata College Coca-Cola Classic.
The Green Terrors (9-6) will first take on North Carolina-Greensboro at 4 p.m. Friday and then take on host Juniata at 7:45. Saturday's schedule has yet to be determined.
(All times p.m. unless indicated)
* Field hockey: Gettysburg at Western Maryland, 3:30.
* Junior varsity football: Middletown at Francis Scott Key, 7; North Carroll at South Carroll, 7;Thomas Johnson at Westminster; 7.
* Freshman football: North Carroll at South Carroll, 5:30; Thomas Johnson at Westminster, 5:30.
*Girls soccer: Francis Scott Key at Middletown, JV at 5:30, varsity at 7; Howard at Liberty, varsity only at 7; Linganore at North Carroll, varsity at 4; South Carroll at Thomas Johnson, 5:30 and 7.
* Volleyball: Francis Scott Key at Walkersville, JV at 5:30, varsity at 7;North Carroll at South Carroll, 5:30 and 7.
* Field hockey: Poolesville at Francis Scott Key, JV at 5:30, varsity at 7; South Carroll at Liberty, 5:30 and 7; Westminster at North Carroll, 5:30 and 7.
* Junior varsity football: Liberty at Linganore, 7.
* Freshman football: South Carroll at Linganore, 5:30.
* Golf: Delone Catholic at Westminster, 4.
* Boys soccer: Francis Scott Key at North Hagerstown, varsity at 4:30; Thomas Johnson at South Carroll, JV at 5:30, varsity at 7; Westminster at Frederick, 5:30 and 7; Mount St. Mary's at Western Maryland, 4.
* Girls soccer: Frederick at Westminster, varsity at 4; Western Maryland at Catholic, 4
* Volleyball: Liberty at Thomas Johnson, JV at 6, varsity at 7:30; Westminsterat Linganore, 6 and 7:30; Western Maryland at Franklin & Marshall, 7.
Please see SPORTS, Page 26
Continued from Page 26
* Football: Boonsboro at Francis Scott Key, 7:30; Libertyat Linganore, 7:30; North Carroll at South Carroll, 7:30; Thomas Johnson at Westminster, 7:30.
* Volleyball: South Carroll at Frederick, JV at 6, varsity at 7:30; Western Maryland at Juniata (Pa.) Classic.