State Investigates Fire In Ellicott City

Police, fire log

October 02, 1991

The state Fire Marshal's office is investigating a fire Sunday that caused about $350,000 in damage to two unoccupied town houses in Ellicott City, county firefighters said.

A model unit town house ownedby Pulte Builders caught fire shortly before 1:10 a.m. in the 8500 block of Timber Pines Court, and the blaze quickly spread to an adjoining unit, firefighters said.

The model unit was heavily damaged and the adjoining town house, which was fully furnished, suffered about $50,000 in smoke and fire damage, a fire report said.

No one was injured in the fire.


A Columbia teen-ager was charged with breaking and entering yesterday after a police officer noticed a prowler inside Wilde Lake High School, county police said.

Anthony Ridley, 18, of the 10500 block of Twin Rivers Road, was being held atthe Howard County Detention Center yesterday on $3,500 bond. Ridley broke into the high school to steal videocassette recorders, police said.

Police said Ridley gained entrance to the school, at 5460 Trumpeter Road, at about 12:50 a.m. after using a key. It is not known how he acquired the key, police said.

Nothing was reported missing from the school and no damage was reported.


A 5-year-old Ellicott City girl received a fractured nose Monday when she was hit by a car after stepping off a school bus, county rescue workers said.

Nicole Armstrong, of the 4100 block of Old Columbia Pike, was knocked to the ground by the slow-moving car, which attempted to pass a school bus on Old Columbia Pike, rescue workers said.

The accident occurred at 4:15 p.m. near Route 103. The child was taken to the Johns Hopkins Hospital pediatric unit, where shewas treated and released.

State police, who handled the traffic investigation, were unable to release any information about the accident yesterday.


A small fire in atrash pile yesterday at the Freestate Raceway appears to have been deliberately set, bringing to five the number of suspicious fires thathave occurred at the raceway this year, county firefighters said.

The fire began at about 1:30 a.m. in trash inside the grandstand building, causing minimal damage, said Donald R. Howell, a county fire and rescue services spokesman.

In the last three months, four othersuspicious fires -- all of which caused minor damage -- have been reported at the Laurel racetrack facility, on U.S. 1 near Gorman Road.

The state Fire Marshal's office is investigating the blazes.

Noinjuries have been reported in any of the fires, which have all occurred late at night in vacant areas, firefighters said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.