* Atlanta Braves -- Activated Deion Sanders (outfielder).
* Philadelphia Phillies -- Sent Amalio Carreno, Darrel Akerfelds and Chuck Malone (pitchers) and Sil Campusano (outfielder) outright to Scranton-Wilkes-Barre of the International League.
BASKETBALL (NBA) * Cleveland Cavaliers -- Signed Terrell Brandon (guard) to a year contract.
* Miami Heat -- Signed Carlos Funchess (guard).
FOOTBALL (NFL) * Buffalo Bills -- Placed James Williams (cornerback) on injured reserve.
* Green Bay Packers -- Activated Louis Cheek (offensive lineman) from injured reserve. Waived Scott Jones (offensive tackle).
* Houston Oilers -- Waived Gary Wellman (wide receiver).
* Los Angeles Rams -- Placed Rodney Thomas (cornerback) on injured reserve. Placed Marcus Dupree (running back) on the practice roster. Released Corwin Anthony (tight end) and Trevor Ryals (center) from the practice roster.
* Pittsburgh Steelers -- Agreed to terms with Greg Lloyd (linebacker). Re-signed Rick Strom (quarterback).
HOCKEY (NHL) * Edmonton Oilers -- Signed Esa Tikkanen (left wing) to a 6-year contract.
* Hartford Whalers -- Assigned Mario Gosselin and Jim Crozier (goaltenders), Jergus Baca, Corey Beauleau, Vincent Boe, Cam Brauer, Jim Burke, Shawn Evans, Scott Humeniuk, Karl Johnston and John Stevens (defensemen), Blair Atcheynum and Chris Tancill (right wings), Paul Cyr, Scott Daniels and Chris Govedaris (left wings) and James Black, Chris Bright, Denis Chalifoux, Kelly Ens and Kerry Russell (centers) to Springfield of the American Hockey League. Returned Steve Yule (defenseman) to Kamloops of the Western Hockey League; Martin Hamrlik (defenseman) to Zlin of the Czechoslovakian League; and Mike Lenarduzzi (goaltender) to Sault Ste. Marie of the Ontario Hockey League.
* St. Louis Blues -- Returned Steve Staios (defenseman) to Niagara Falls of the Ontario Hockey League. Assigned Brian Pellerin, Jason Ruff, Yves Heroux, Richard Pion, Derek Frenette, Mark Bassen, Joe Hawley and Dan Fowler (forwards), Greg Poss, Jaan Luik, Terry Hollinger and Rob Tustian (defensemen) and Alain Raymond, David Schill and Francis Ouelette (goaltenders) to Peoria of the International Hockey League.
* Washington Capitals -- Assigned Byron Dafoe, Alain Harvey, Olaf Kolzig and Shawn Simpson (goaltenders), Bob Babcock, Wade Bartley, Chris Clarke, Mark Ferner, Rob Leask, Ken Lovsin, Jim Mathieson, Mark Sorenson, Jiri Vykoukal (defensemen), Craig Duncanson, Victor Gervais, Trevor Halverson, Todd Hlushko, Bill Kovacs, Steve Martell, Harry Mews, Dave Morissette, Randy Pearce, John Purves, Bobby Reynolds, Reggie Savage, Steve Seftel, Tim Taylor, Richie Walcott, Simon Wheeldon (forwards) to the Skipjacks of the American Hockey League.
SOCCER (MSL) * Blast -- Signed Waad Hirmez (forward) to a 1-year contract.
* Clemson -- Placed Arthur Bussie (defensive lineman) on probation for the rest of his enrollment and ordered him to perform community service as assigned by the student development office.
* Oregon -- Suspended Daryle Smith (cornerback) indefinitely for disciplinary reasons.